Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrubs and walnut trees

Posted by ropari MI (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 04 at 8:49

Not sure where to post this with so many forums???

We moved to new acreage with many black walnut trees. We would like to plant pretty shrubs, flowers, etc'., but have been told the walnut treees are harmful to many varieties.

Are there any nice looking landscaping shrubs, etc'., that do well around walnut trees.

I live in lower SW Michigan...zone 5 I believe.

Thanks much for any advice.

Also, not possible to remove trees...hundreds of them and they are the only variety planted here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrubs and walnut trees

Black Walnut emits Juglone but there's still lots of stuff you CAN plant under there so don't be discouraged. Hostas do well and many other shade plants. Several of the links below will have a list of plants that are tolerant of juglone but you may want to experiment with other plants as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: google search

o

We have 58 acres of black walnut trees and I have yet to find anything at all that they discourage. Hostas, Heuchera, and daylilies are completely unaffected as are all the the other various perennials I grow. The full sun perennials are well away from the trees, but the shade and part-shade plants are shaded by these trees.

My advice is to just plant and see what happens. If you look at the list of things that supposedly don't grow under walnuts, you will miss having some really pretty plants!

o

• Posted by jambu 9b Winter Park (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 21, 04 at 23:34

Quite a number of plants also have a bit of toxicity to ward off plant competition (it's called allelopathy). Black walnut is the textbook/classic example, but also it has been noted to varying strengths in rice, sorghum, sweet sumac, quite a few aquatic/marsh plants and tree-of-heaven.

In black walnut, the concentration of the toxin is most pronouced at the dripline. As people have already mentioned, some plants have no problem with the walnut--but any plant in the Solanaceae family (Potato/tomato/eggplant family) will bite the dust.

o

I read you are suppose to plant 50 feet from a black walnut if the plant you are putting in can't take the black walnut. I know it is not good to put a garden in near a black walnut. I learned that the hard way before I found out black walnuts can be toxic to some plants. My dayliles love being planted at the base of one though.

o

Blackberries and Raspberries to well in the vicinity of Walnuts...just make sure the berries get lots of sun....

o

I'm surrounded by Black Walnut trees on my three acres. I've learned to live with them! Two shrubs that absolutely THRIVE on their own under Black Walnuts are wild black raspberries (not really great "shrubs", but the berries are delicious!) and spicebush (lindera benzoin), which is a beautiful shrub, and turns yellow in the fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here