Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bryann_gw

What are these? Red barked shrubs and yellow twigged trees

BryAnn
19 years ago

Hi all,

This past weekend I was in Wisconsin, and on my drive from Milwaukee to Green Bay, I noticed these red shrubs on the side of the road. They were about three feet tall (I'm guessing, since I was traveling at 70 miles an hour on I-94) and all red. Very pretty against the white snow. There were also taller shrubs, about 6 feet tall and only the tips were red, the older trunks were dark brown or dark grey. What are these?

Then on the way from Green Bay to Milwaukee, I noticed these huge trees, with big spreading branches and then smallest branches on the ends were yellow, some sticking up, others drooping. So it looked like these big bare trees had this wild yellow hair. What are these?

Thanks in advance,

BryAnn

Comments (13)

• pondwelr
    19 years ago

The red shrubs are a form of dogwood. My family called them
    redosier, dont know the latin name. New ones are red to the ground, old ones red only on new growth. The are suckering and take over many wet ditches and marshland edges. They bloom in spring and get berries which are a real bird magnet.

I can only guess at the tree you describe. The yellow tips suggest a type of willow. Most willows have short fat trunks and huge many-branched canopies. Only the weeping variety is easily recognizable. Other types can be dificult to identify without the leaf.
    Pondy

• tadeusz5
    19 years ago

pondy;
    Cornus sericea - red osier dogwood, and salix nigra- willow.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/cstolonifera.htm

• veronicastrum
    19 years ago

BryAnn,

Your post reminded me of one of my favorite quotes from Bailey White. Bailey is a schoolteacher/author/NPR commentator who lives in Georgia right near the Florida state line. In one of her commentaries she talked about her vacations where she would "ride the train north until I didn't know the names of the trees anymore."

That's about how far north you were this weekend!

And by the way, I was in the same area on Sunday and can confirm the plant id's you received above.

V.

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

When the willows turn brighter yellow, spring isn't far behind.

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

BryAnn,
    There are several other dogwoods that do not sucker. Here are a few examples in case you would like to plant them in your garden:

1. Cornus alba 'Sibirica' has red twigs, green leaves.
    2. Cornus alba 'Elegantisima' or "Ivory Halo', red twigs, green & white variegated leaves.
    3. Cornus alba 'Spaethii', darker red twigs & green/yellow variegated leaves.

There are those with yellow/green twigs or black twigs too.
    One of my favorites is Cornus sanguinea 'Winter Flame' or 'Mid Winter Fire'. The twigs are yellow/orange/red. The leaves are very light greenish yellowish. It does suker, though.

I have a different kind of willow from the one mentioned above. It is called Coral Embers Willow - Salix alba spp. vitellina 'Britzensis'. New growths are bright orange/red. I love it. It is gorgeous in winter. :-)

• BryAnn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks to all.

Pitimpinai, are there any mail order sites you would recommend to buy those cornus? Elegantisima' or "Ivory Halo' sounds really interesting.

This is what I love about Gardenweb. Everyone's such great enablers.

BryAnn

• pondwelr
    19 years ago

Hey tadeusz, I knew you could come up with the right names for red osier and black willow. And, when I want to buy a shrub or tree, I cant stand it if I dont have all the latin species, genus, etc. written down.
    Its good to see your name on these forums again.
    Pondy

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

I got all my Dogwoods from Forestfarm, but "Elegantissima' is easily found locally. I have seen it at Home Depot & a local grocery store in spring.

'Ivory Halo' is also offered in Parks'/Wayside catalogs. The cost is comparable to Forestfarm when you add Forestfarm's exhobitant shipping. Another plus from Park's/Wayside is that if your plant dies within a year, P/W will replace it no question asked. No such luck with FF.

If you are patient, I am planning to layer my 'Ivory Halo' this spring. I was very successful last year. This year I will probably have to try air layering though, because all the horizonal branches are gone.

Good luck. :-)

• michigoose
    19 years ago

The Siberian Dogwood is great....I have it here and I am going to take a piece I started with me when I move to OH in June. I have the varigated form, which I find much prettier for a longer time than the plain variety. Here, you can get them at Home Depot for a reasonable price.

To maintain the red twigs over all, you will need to periodically cut out the old growth...but this is several years.

It doesn't creep, but you can easily make new starts by bending a young branch down and putting a stone on top of it, it will root starting a new plant.

We had red osier in Michigan where I grew up and I used to love looking down the hill across the farm to the swamp where the red twigs would shine against the gold grasses and leaden November skies....

There is also a yellow twigged variety, but I have always found the red to be exceptional.

• tadeusz5
    19 years ago

Pondy;

Take a trip across the Big Pond (Lake Michigan) to
    Holland,Michigan- May 19-22,2005 , I and many others will be at the national convention of the Azalea Society, lots of nice garden tours, nursery tours, plant sale, great speakers, etc- you and the general public as well are welcome to attend this. check out the pages of the link , and click on 2005 convention, gallery,speakers, registration. Take the boat across with your car.

Here is a link that might be useful: tulips/azaleas/rhodies

• Bob_Zn5
    19 years ago

"Take the boat across with your car."
    For the cost of that new high speed ferry out of Milwaukee, you could replant the entire block in red twig dogwoods. I hear the old ferry from Manitowoc is less expensive.

• tadeusz5
    19 years ago

Bob-

When did they open that new Ferry in Milwaukee??- there was news awhile back that they were going to run another fast ferry across from Navy Pier in Chicago to the other side of Lake Michigan. With the price of gas going up and up , it might be a new way to visit the folks in Michigan using these latest ventures.

• pondwelr
    19 years ago

The cross-lake car ferry has been off and on again for many years. My late hubby and I took it many times from Milwaukee and twice from Sheboygan. It seems like every company goes broke! The new one that Bob mentioned opened in 04(?). But, I would take the trek up to Sheboygan and board the old Badger car ferry again. You are just full of good ideas tadeusz. I would love to see Holland, Michigan.
    Pondy