Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What the heck kills English Ivy?

Posted by alys Zone 5 1/2 - MO (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 07 at 10:16

First - Hello! I've never posted here before and hope I'm not too far North to join in with you folks - I'm in Mid-Mo.

I have English Ivy planted around a large oak tree in my yard. I know, some people feel it's a horrible plant, but I keep it trimmed and contained and don't let it get big enough to blossom and even go to the extent of burning the trimmings so they can't spread somewhere unwanted. But now it's dying-all of it. Looks horrible. It's about three years old and has looked great until now. There is a lot of leaves in the bed from last fall that I haven't cleaned out yet, but that should hurt it. There is a large black colony in the same bed, within the ivy, that I've never been able to erradicate. Could they be killing my ivy? I planted it specifically because it was hard to kill, so this is a puzzle for me.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Never mind

• Posted by alys Zone 5 1/2 - MO (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 4, 07 at 21:32

Since no one seems able to help me I'll just let my post die into obscurity. Hopefully it'll live. Thanks anyway.

o
RE: What the heck kills English Ivy?

alys -- sorry no one was able to help -- sometimes the forums aren't too active or a question is such a puzzler that no one can help. Please don't let that stop you from posting again -- I've gotten lots of great information from these forums. You might try posting on the disease forum to see if anyone there knows. The only other suggestion I have is to take a sample of the plant to your local master gardening clinic. Dig up a piece, roots and stems and leaves, bag it in a ziploc bag, and take it to the clinic. Someone there will have a much better chance of helping you figure this out; they're trained to know all the right questions to ask, and there may be something specific going on in your area that they know about that forum people don't. Give it a try. The land grant college or university in your state should have a plant diagnosis lab, too, so sending a sample to them would be another possibility, although not as convenient. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here