Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First experience with mail order

Posted by kcbarbara z5KS (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 08 at 10:19

With the help of some other posters here, I took the jump into mail-order plant buying. I just finished putting in an order with High Country Gardens and have my fingers crossed for healthy, decently sized plants.

This year I bought seeds online too and was disappointed in the supplier. I purchased from Thompson-Morgan and while they shipped very quickly, I was dismayed at the low number of seeds in each packet. Yes, the number is displayed at ordering time but either I missed it or I underestimated how far (or not far) 50 seeds would go. Let's hope for decent germination so that all is not lost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First experience with mail order

Kcbarbara-- Sometimes it takes a little spending to get started , but at least once you have grown plants you can reap the seeds and have them for yourself or friends. There are forums that you can get free seeds , the best one being the hummingbird forum where the most it may cost is postage. Im going to leave a link, just try hanging out there for a while, there is a lot going on and there are people on there right now offering seeds.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: hummingbird forum network 54

o

Thank you, Steve. I'm hoping that your scenario plays out for me --that I can reap my own seeds and have enough for my uses and to trade. I've dipped into the trade forums but not having anything to offer, I felt sorta stymied.

I should give a shout out of thanks to Trudi at the WS forum for her free seed offer. I sent for them and WS'd a bunch of them. It was fun getting seeds for plants that I'd never even heard of, much less considered.

Barbara

o

Barbara--- I was in the same pickle you are with nothing to trade but the people are friendly and willing to help, because everyone starts from ground zero and it surprises you that they will just send you sends to help you get started, good luck---Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here