Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerstin_linnea

golden showers- yellow climbing rose, new purchase

Kerstin_Linnea
19 years ago

Hello all midwesterner's, I wanna hear from you who has experience with this particular rose..

I plan on growing it in a large container in eastern exposure..

If I can cut it down every fall it will be kept in a unheated porch over winter but as I know next to nil about roses I hope that you guys could gimme some feedback, somebody at the forum told me that I have bought a 'bodybag' not so encouraging..

but hey I got it for 3.50, the wrapping states that it is a 2 yr old plant, it has some tiny new buds on it...

I have quite un-intentionally killed every rose in my care but am unwilling to give up hope.. I figure 4.00 is not so much to loose would I fail again.

Do you think I'll see some flowering this year?

should I soak it in superthrive?

what can double as a rosefert. until I get to the store?

How often should I feed in a pot approx 18x18?

Klk

Comments (2)

• UKtransplant
    19 years ago

Hi Klk,

Probably the best place to ask question about Roses is the Rose Forum, I am fairly new to gardening in the MW and they have been a fount of knowledge for me.

As far as food "well rotted horse manure" is always a good bet, if you have access to a stable they are more often than not happy to get rid of it

Power to your trowel

Steve the UKtransplant

P.S. I have bought two GS Roses this year and am training them up a fence with a trellis on top. Hoping I do not need a body bag.

• tropicanarama
    19 years ago

Is there a way you can put it in a large container with a decorative trellis, or trained up an obelisk etc? And would you possibly have room to leave the canes up over the winter? Bare roses can look beautiful in winter, especially when they are trained on something attractive (like a copper obelisk or a bent willow tepee (both of which you can make yourself.)

The thing is, I don't recommend cutting this completely down each season. Even though Golden Showers can bloom some on new wood, I think you're going to have a tough time of getting much bloom that way in Chicago, and maybe not even enough to justify calling it a climber.

Have you thought about a Polyantha rose like The Fairy or Little White Pet? They're beautiful, they're literally covered with dozens or on a mature plant hundreds of blooms at once (much more floriferous than most other roses except maybe some of the once-blooming OGRs), even the foliage is dark and glossy, they're very very disease resistant, they thrive on neglect - and their size is perfect for balconies and containers. They're dwarf but not too dwarf, and they have a nice spreading habit - some, like the Fairy, are more prostrate/weeping, and some are mannerly mini-climbers. Not all of them are hardy in 5b, but some, like the Fairy, is hardy here with no protection. (The Fairy's only drawback is that it has no scent - but some of the other polyanthas are very fragrant also!

...In any case, they're likely to stay enough in bounds so that you don't have to chop 'em when you store your pots for the winter. :)

that's my unsolicited $0.02 anyway.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting