Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snails???

Posted by dfox z6 KS (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 05 at 12:46

I have dealt with Grubs before in my lawn but I have just come from my flower bed and my coreopsis (sp) bed is completely wiped out and I see lots of snail shells. Is this a type of grub and what can I use to stop them from munching on the flower roots? I know now that when I treated my lawn for grubs, I should have also treated the flower beds and they probably just pick up and move to greener pastures! Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snails???

I used to have snails. Now I have slugs. But the controls, I believe, are pretty much the same. If you're not willing to go on nightly snail raids or set up beer traps (google "slugs" and "beer" and you'll probably get lots of good hits, plus maybe a few about guys watching televised sports), you can go get a product like Sluggo. It's iron sulfite or something like that, and it's not toxic to much beyond slugs and snails--it eventually breaks down and might actually be good for the soil. I don't think slugs and snails munch all that much on roots (unless they're semi-exposed like through the drainage holes of a pot) so much as eat tender foliage, but I could be wrong on that.

o

For my slugs which should work for your snails I just save my egg shells . Just rinse good and crush and spread where needed they just seem to go off for softer pastures. Hope this helps

o

If you can get it, try cocoa mulch. Their little pseudopods don't like the sharp edges. I never had a problem with any plant that I used this on back home.

Or use Sluggo and be done with it.

o

I have heard that copper strips literally electrocute and kill slugs. I am sick of the slugs in my hostas and I am thinking of putting a copper strip around that bed.
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_179&products_id=1833

o

I had my best (least invasive) experience last year by not following the instructions on the slug bait I bought. Instead of spreading slug bait around each hosta as directed, I set out a few small 5" diameter split branches and sprinkled the bait around them and any other surfaces the slugs might want to take refuge under like stepping stones, logs, etc. It saved a lot on the cost of the buggetta because I used so little and was more effective. I also used pine straw as a mulch which on its own has never shown much of a deterrant effect for me. The idea is not to attract slugs to your plants by putting a ring of bait around them. Good luck!

o
shrews tunneling for snails?

I just reread your post. That's curious about the snail shells. Do you think something could be eating the snails and damaging the roots while it's hunting for them? Shrews maybe? I can't post another follow up so I had to start this over. Sorry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here