Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What will grow not full sun

Posted by marjorie_grower MO (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 08 at 14:20

I want to grow, veggies, herbs, fruits. I am putting in a raised garden along a six foot fence. Behind my yard are woods with tall trees. I am estimating that the garden will get only 3 hours of full sun approx. per day. Most of my yard is pool, so I don't have many options and plan to expand the garden to surround the yard if I can successfully grow enough veggies, etc.

I know I can grow lettuce and greens and strawberries I think. I know of flowers and non edible plants. But, during the hot summer months, with less than optimal direct sunlight, does anybody have success with tomatoes, root veggies, cucumbers, watermelon, or any other vegetables under semi shady/sunny conditions? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What will grow not full sun

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure neither tomatoes nor herbs will do their best in less than full sun. And by full sun, I mean at least 5 hours. So many herbs come from the mediterranean where sunshine is constant.

Is there any way you can put pots in sunnier spots in your yard, such as around the pool? Herbs do very well in pots and so do tomatoes. I grew both full size and cherry tomatoes in pots last summer and they did great.

o

I would like to second kcbarbara's suggestion. I have a sunny garden, but I also like to plant tomatoes and peppers in large pots on my patio. Just as soon as we can get rid of the SNOW in the Chicago area!!!, I will be planting radishes, lettuce, and spinach in pots that will later hold flowers. We really do love these early veggies that I can plant before the garden is tillable
Jean

o

Maybe asparagus? As you said, salad greens--lettuces, spinach, and chard would probably do okay. I'd try cooler-weather veggies, peas, cucumbers, and maybe broccoli and/or cauliflower--you might not get as much as you would in full sun, but if you plant them a little later in the season, maybe you can still get a good crop. Do you have anything you can use to reflect sunlight onto the garden (indirect light) for another hour or two? That might help with those plants that prefer 4 or more hours of sun.

Some herbs to try might be American pennyroyal (I think there's another mint that does well in shade, too, but can't think of it right now), sweet grass, chervil, and bee balm (I think?).
My purple coneflowers (echinacea) were supposed to be planted in full sun, but they're hardy little flowers that are doing fine in a little less than 4 hours of sun here, so you might try those, too.
HTH! Best of luck!
--Amy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here