Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for replacing Shrubs

Posted by anna3675 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 25, 11 at 16:05

We are doing some work on our front porch and have decided to remove the existing shrubs and replace them with something different. The problem is we are not sure what!

I was thinking perhaps a hyrdrangea and azalea combination? But I'm not sure if they will work together in that area.
I want at least one flowering shrub in the mix. Any advice?

Here is a link that might be useful: Front Porch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for replacing Shrubs

Without knowing more about your goals for this area, my advice would be to keep the existing shrubs in place, as they appear to be healthy yews and are therefore excellent kept pruned into an evergreen background hedge.

I would consider moving the ubiquitous pyramidal evergreen somewhere else, and replacing it with something that has more personality.

I would layer a few sizes of flowering shrubs with the foliage and bloom colors that would enhance the character and colors of the annuals and bulbs that I would use to add a burst of color to the edges of the planting beds.

But that's just me, lol.

o

My husband hates the yews with a passion, and I'm not a huge fan either, so even though they are healthy, they are not really in our taste. Additionally, they are apparantly sheltering some carpenter ants or at least used to. We could trim them away from the porch, but we'd rather just get rid of them, but up a porch railing, and plant some more interesting shrubs and plants.

Right now we are looking at a combination of hydrangea, rhododendrons, azaleas, and maybe some holly. We'll build the area slightly up with some landscaping stones but not till the yews are all gone.

o

Azeleas and rhododendrons do not do very well in the Midwest. It gets too hot in the summer. Yes they will survive but not flourish. Ever seen them, in England for example or even China, that's a rhododendron/azalea
Think about the name hydrangea, it likes water, try for drought resistent plants. Try a variety of Midwest perenials, echinacea, black eyed susans, butterfy bushes.
All my experiences when gardening in the Midwest are on yardspace.org.. both good and bad. I have made very mistake in the book.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here