Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digging up daffodils?

Posted by ksfarm_girl 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 17:53

I want to dig up some daffodils (and other unknown plants) to make way for some construction work and also make up my own garden beds. They are already green and about 6 inches tall because of the warm weather, is it too late to dig them out to give to someone else? I was thinking about offering them in the plant swap section or something to get rid of them. Just because I don't particularly care for them doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't love to have them.

Also, should someone want them in a swap, how do you prepare them for shipping? I've never ordered plants before, so I've never seen how to package them to arrive safe and healthy.

I posted in the Midwest section because of the time of year for this--I'm sorry if I posted it in the wrong place.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digging up daffodils?

That question comes up a lot but darned if I can remember the answer. So, I checked over in the Bulb forum, did a search on "transplant" and came up with several threads that should answer your question. Try this:

http://search.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=transplant&forum=bulbs&forum_name=Bulbs

Hope that helps!

o

I can't speak to how the bulbs would react to being mailed "in the green," but I can tell you that it's very possible to move bulbs in the spring, I think ideally long before they bloom. I did it with tulips and daffodils the year I moved, and most of them were fine. The trick is to dig deep enough. I swear over time they manage to drill themselves further down than you planted them--or that's how it seems, anyhow!

o

KS Farm Girl,
I just moved some tulips from one part of the yard to
another. We did have a cold snap, but they seem to
be doing okay.

If you don't want to mail them, maybe there is a
neighbor that you could swap/ give away closer.

Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here