Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerstin_linnea

My concerns with gethsemane nursery...

Kerstin_Linnea
19 years ago

folks, I gotta figure this out and need some serious feedback,

don't be shy If I am in the wrong I want it called on, just please be constructive about it...

I am currently shopping around for a number of winterblooming cactuses/hoyas, It is very difficult to find nurseries selling more than 2" pots-

I have been a customer of gethsemanes nursery center for several years by now and alwyays get good healthy plants from them.

On several occasions I have gotten something that wasn't what I wanted,

It was never a big deal since what I got instead was all all garden perennials & nice looking, performing well,

- hey if nothing else you learn something new, right?

My indoor plants is a diffrent issue altogheter.

My windows sills are at a premium and I try to populate it wisely, meaning plants that have the most activity during winter. Yes I have been posting like crazy- anything to get trough the deep freeze and now, stay OUT of the beds.

I am sure you all are experincing varying levels yourself..

The first time I got real annoyed was when I got in to the store to pick up a reserved epi oxypetalum. I was new to the species but have had other kinds before, besides I did my research well here at gweb. To make long story short, the plant was unlabeled and my hesistance was swept away by the salespersons confident insistence that this was the very plant.

2 months later the thing blooms and is without a shadow of doubt a Rhipsalis.

I call back and talk with the buyer who seems to consider a exchange for a instant before declining me the service.

Oh well, nothing much to do, I was very disapointed but tried take it in good stride, the rhip is gorgeuos albeit unscented, and tiny flowers instead of the large I wanted.

Now I am looking for the original one , call up again and speak with a rep in tropicals.

Yes indeed they do custom orders, I give her the names and am told that somebody shall get back to me, all good and fine but what entails is that they have no certain way to prove what they are selling, and that all the plants arrive unlabeled!

what about the customers that come in here asking for a specific plant?

her answer is: 'they are few and far between'.

Now, english IS my 2nd language and I still struggle with metaphoric meanings.

She confirmed that people seldom know or care what it is exactly they are buying,and that the store subsitutes with whats in stock , a lot of interior designers do not care about that either, they're just going for the look....

all plants are bought in bulk and they have no control over what that bulk consists of, with the lack of labels, it is up to the nursery's expertise to ascertain what it is.

Says she who didin't make the connection with what a epiphyllum is until I said x-mascactus!!!

Now I know there is no innocent mistake, this IS how they conduct buisness.

In my opinion I got conned!

This must be bordering on fraudulent behavior, no?

When they claim to sell a certain item that upon closer inspection turns out to be something else??

I am actually relly mad now, I will not follow trough with the hoyas but have good mind calling up the manager and give him a chance to explain the mission statement.

I see every plant as a investment but have to sacrifie somewhere else whenever I make a 'larger'purchase, this is really unfair and I can see that they are not exactly breaking the law but wouldn't this be a clear ethic's violation?

I mean I DID ASK for crazy shasta daisy but got alaska daisy.

same thing with the epi..

and the damn montana I got instead of a alpina!!

( that hurt too, I have to admit but I am ready to shouldering responsibility , I didn't know clem's well enough back then)

-and I'd love to have a montana if theyr'e to stay alive up here, however , they don't and the nursery are so greedy for my money that they fail to mention that to me.

arrgh!

Oh come on, I am a reasonable person, mistakes happen but that also entails taking responesbility for it.

I never got to exchange the plant, I never complained before and should be honored as a good customer.

And by the way, this rep I talked to today, was not forthcoming with any of the info, that was me poking and prodding= knowing what to ask for.

I started a habit several years ago where I memorize the names of people I talk to, and I have the name of every person at gethsemane that pushed the wrong plant on me.

However, this is not a personal thing, I have a issue with the POLICY, jutting down their names seems to make them understand that I am serious and mean buisness.

I now feel very strongly about nurseries and how they choose to conduct buisness and will from now on make sure that my 2 cents will be posted and spread.

Ok bring it on...

what am I missing here?

kk

Comments (29)

• dirtdiver
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think you have a perfectly valid complaint. I too shop there, and while I've generally been happy with my purchases, I'd be more than irritated if a plant were represented as something it was not, and even more irritated if they weren't willing to make it right. I seem to recall that they don't have a guarantee once you plant something, but they should guarantee that the plant is true to their representation. I've noticed at Gethsemane, like many nurseries, have a few people who know their stuff and others who just act like it. I've gotten a bad piece of advice or two over the years. Have you checked Jamaica Gardens off Dempster and the Edens? Their greenhouse is pretty big. I also seem to remember that Geimer's out in the burbs did custom orders a few years back, at least on shrubs.

By the way. If you're shopping at GG, I assume you are in Chicago proper? Perhaps near the lake? I've had a clematis montana 'rubens' for almost three years now under such conditions. I haven't even really mulched it. (And I'll know more about its hardiness in a few weeks, I guess.) You can probably do just fine with it.

• Kerstin_Linnea
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi dirtdiver (I do love that name), I have never heard about jamaica gardens, hmm well worth checking out, thanks a lot.
    My montana perished the first winter and I did have it protected and mulched, however I do not hold that particular incident against them, it is the rhipsalis incident that is pushing me off the cliff.
    klk

• smom40
    19 years ago

Quote: "Yes indeed they do custom orders, I give her the names and am told that somebody shall get back to me, all good and fine but what entails is that they have no certain way to prove what they are selling, and that all the plants arrive unlabeled!
    what about the customers that come in here asking for a specific plant?
    her answer is: 'they are few and far between'.
    Now, english IS my 2nd language and I still struggle with metaphoric meanings.
    She confirmed that people seldom know or care what it is exactly they are buying,and that the store subsitutes with whats in stock , a lot of interior designers do not care about that either, they're just going for the look....
    all plants are bought in bulk and they have no control over what that bulk consists of, with the lack of labels, it is up to the nursery's expertise to ascertain what it is."

I just googled these folks. Chicago, right?

I'd be contacting the Better Business Bureau and definitely making a post on the garden watchdog site.

Look at their site and they act like they have expects to fill your every need. Yeah, except selling the RIGHT plants! @@

I'd run like the wind somewhere else. I want more from my nursery than "eeny meeny miney moe".

• Kerstin_Linnea
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi smom, yes that is correct, northside chicago, what is better buisness bureau and how to I formulate mu complain with them? ahh, I shall google this instead of wasting your time..
    You wouldn't know any mail order nurseries that sells good sizes plants ( mentioned above)?

Dirt diver, I don't seem to be able to find neither of the nurseries you mentioned- you wouldn't have a website?
    thanks , klk

• birdsnblooms
    19 years ago

Kerstin, I can tell you're pi$$ed..and I'd be too..Even HD has 1 yr guarantee on their plants..
    With what Gethsemene charges for their plants, and you say you're a good customer, they should not only exchange or refund, but apologize.
    I had a great Hoya site on favorites, but haven't been there in some time and changed computers. There are several hoya sites though. I'll keep an eye out.
    Beware of Logee's. I used to be a great customer of theirs but have given up. I know ordering citrus is best done ordering from a citrus nursery, but they had a pic of a beautiful varagated citrus..I ordered it, and when it arrived, it was no more than 3"..It died within the wk.
    Then I tried again, a copper amaranthus, which was so tiny the plant fell out of the soil before arrival..I called and they replaced it..lo and behold, this one was tall and healthy. But I find their shipping and 'handling' outrageous. 11 something for 1-6 plants. Incredible!!! I order from several places and shipping doesn't come close to their high prices.
    I thought we spoke of Jamacian Gardens..Oh, you'll love it! I try going there at least once a yr and never come home empty-handed.
    Here's the number 847-967-9360 They're located in Morton Grove, and have a second store in Libertyville..Morton Grove is much, much better.
    There's one lady at Gethsemne who's pretty good w/plants..Her name is Vilma. I used to work w/her when I worked at Rentoikil. She's the one who warned me the 'alledged' hardy passionvine wouldn't work. And it didn't. I belive she only works in summer, if she's still there.
    Whatever you decide, good luck, and keep informed..Toni

• dirtdiver
    19 years ago

Hi Kerstin,
    Website for Jamaica Gardens is jamaicangardens.com, but more importantly, I'll give you the hint for finding the place. Though it is highly visible from the highway, you have to exit the Edens (I think that's I-94, but check it out) at Dempster (or otherwise just be on Dempster) and take the frontage road south to get there. I thought maybe I saw some (small) hoyas when I was there buying Pro Mix the other week, but I didn't really pay close attention. Tropicals are seemingly their specialty, so maybe you'll find what you want.

Geimers.com is the website for Geimer Greenhouses in Long Grove. It's a haul from Chicago, so you'll probably want to call first. I've only been at their new place in-season and don't really have a sense of their greenhouse stock. Great place though, and huge.

• tropicanarama
    19 years ago

Gethsemane is really great with a lot of things - you're just asking for something that is beyond their specialty. Why not order from an online purveyor with a stellar GardenWatchdog rating? Then you would absolutely know that you'd get what you wanted. Good luck finding your plant - I am sure a great specimen from some great company is available on the Web for a good price.

• Kerstin_Linnea
    Original Author
    19 years ago

hello tropica,
    - As you can see from previous postings in this thread, I never questioned the quality of the plants..

MY problem is that when I ask for something specific, and they tell they have the item (but it is actually st else) they are ripping me off,
    I never said anything about the prices, what makes VERY ANGRY is to spend my money on something I did not want.
    but hey, please read the thread, I am starting to repeat myself.

I turned to gg because I could NOT find any nurseries selling anything larger than 2"pots, I haven't found a mail order nursery dealing with the plants I am looking for that has 'Good solid reviews'
    Just take a look at what some posters say about logee's then take a look at their ratings.

I am told that logges is bad news,
    well , then they are bad news.
    as simple as that.
    If you know something I do not, please share because I Have browsed any combination I could think of,

And , in regards of me expecting too much of them, is absolute nonsense, pardon my french, take a look at their website,
    besides, they always refer to them self as a specialtynursery that offers that service, finding rare plants.

I think it supersucks and want to get something in exchange for the prices I pay, otherwise I can go and take my chances with Home Depot, who indeed has 1 year exchange guarantee.
    I WANT service. I WANT Knowledge.
    I want to be able to enter the store and say:
    'HI! I am lookin for this plant, do you have it in stock?'
    I fully expect one out two acceptable answers, yes we do, or a sounding NO we do not.

Ghetsemane I am told grew really big fairly recently, within the last 10-15 years or so?

It is painfully clear that they are forgetful of how easy a poor customer care can disrupt operations.
    Besides, I know that the hr pay over there is barely above minimum, as a result, people with REAL knowledge go somewhere else.( please don't mention the area managers, they are so busy with the running of things, )

And I end up putting my trust in wrong hands, worse yet, am left with no chance to correct the mistake, which was no fault of mine in the first place.
    by doing this they are digging their own grave, giving the boxstores a even stronger hold, beacuse at least they have returnguarantee/cheaperplants.
    Off I go on my own...

I have shopped at gg a couple of times every year, spending anything from 200-500$
    No much compared to what some spend, but still substanial enough to be treated well.
    I used to be loyal to them.
    Now , eh.
    And I do know this, gethsemane lost 2-500$ in yearly renevue by not stepping up and fix their mistake.

This whole subject is getting boring, I sure will tell what the outcome be, meanwhile, I am still looking for nurseries with big plants for sale.. I talked to jamiaca & geimers and neither have the hoya Lacunosa, or the e anguliger ( the two most coveted)
    I am still curious to know if T. has tried soilmosit on the hoyas,
    and a suitable substitute for H australis and Epi,anglugiger.?
    Please note: both fragrant, white, winterblooming, east/west exposure...

-death to gethsemane!
    signing off: Kerstin L Kristiansen.

• Kerstin_Linnea
    Original Author
    19 years ago

hello tropica,
    - As you can see from previous postings in this thread, I never questioned the quality of the plants..

MY problem is that when I ask for something specific, and they tell they have the item (but it is actually st else) they are ripping me off,
    I never said anything about the prices, what makes VERY ANGRY is to spend my money on something I did not want.
    but hey, please read the thread, I am starting to repeat myself.

I turned to gg because I could NOT find any nurseries selling anything larger than 2"pots, I haven't found a mail order nursery dealing with the plants I am looking for that has 'Good solid reviews'
    Just take a look at what some posters say about logee's then take a look at their ratings.

I am told that logges is bad news,
    well , then they are bad news.
    as simple as that.
    If you know something I do not, please share because I Have browsed any combination I could think of,

And , in regards of me expecting too much of them, is absolute nonsense, pardon my french, take a look at their website,
    besides, they always refer to them self as a specialtynursery that offers that service, finding rare plants.

I think it supersucks and want to get something in exchange for the prices I pay, otherwise I can go and take my chances with Home Depot, who indeed has 1 year exchange guarantee.
    I WANT service. I WANT Knowledge.
    I want to be able to enter the store and say:
    'HI! I am lookin for this plant, do you have it in stock?'
    I fully expect one out two acceptable answers, yes we do, or a sounding NO we do not.

Ghetsemane I am told grew really big fairly recently, within the last 10-15 years or so?

It is painfully clear that they are forgetful of how easy a poor customer care can disrupt operations.
    Besides, I know that the hr pay over there is barely above minimum, as a result, people with REAL knowledge go somewhere else.( please don't mention the area managers, they are so busy with the running of things, )

And I end up putting my trust in wrong hands, worse yet, am left with no chance to correct the mistake, which was no fault of mine in the first place.
    by doing this they are digging their own grave, giving the boxstores a even stronger hold, beacuse at least they have returnguarantee/cheaperplants.
    Off I go on my own...

I have shopped at gg a couple of times every year, spending anything from 200-500$
    No much compared to what some spend, but still substanial enough to be treated well.
    I used to be loyal to them.
    Now , eh.
    And I do know this, gethsemane lost 2-500$ in yearly renevue by not stepping up and fix their mistake.
    Sorry for harping and sounding harsh, I am still mad after the fact so to say.

meanwhile, I am still looking for nurseries with big plants for sale.. I talked to jamiaca & geimers and neither have the hoya Lacunosa, or the e anguliger (the two most coveted)
    I am still curious to know if T. has tried soilmoist on the hoyas,
    and a suitable substitute for H australis and Epi,angluiger.?
    Please note: both fragrant, white, winterblooming, east/west exposure...

-death to gethsemane!;-)
    signing off: Kerstin L Kristiansen.

• dirtdiver
    19 years ago

Oh Kerstin! You're so mad you posted twice. Death might be a little harsh for Gethsemane! At the very least, they have that pretty awesome sidewalk sale in the fall, though I suspect you won't be there this year. I'm still kicking myself for passing up a particularly thorny rose at deep discount. They have grown a lot in the last few years, and I've heard they changed hands a year or so ago, though I haven't noticed many changes. I think "Mario" deserves a couple of points for calling you and suggesting other vendors, but they still should have represented their plants more accurately--and done an exchange or something for you. I prefer to think that the first person who (mis)served you was more uncaring and lazy than greedy/evil, but it was wrong, wrong, wrong.

I'm sorry neither Geimers nor Jamaican Gardens had what you want. Hope your mail-order source works out. Good luck!

• birdsnblooms
    19 years ago

Kirstin..take a deep breath, count to 10, then scream!! LOL
    Where is Geimers? Never heard of it.
    I'll be out that way Wed, (have to go to IL Masonic Hosp for testing) so plan on stopping at Gethsemane. I'd prefer Jamacian Gardens, but by the time I get out of the hospital, it'll be closed, not to mention the drive.
    One thing about JG's, they get new plants in once or twice a wk, and different plants come in..and now that spring is near, Oh you're eyes will pop out..lol..
    I know exactly what I want..a camellia and always have my eyes on citrus..even though most of mine are bought at Briteleaf.
    Darn, wish I could find that hoya site for you. Is the one hoya the only one you want?
    I'll email a woman I used to talk to who sent me the site..don't know if she's online anymore but will make an attempt.
    Do u ever listen to WGN AM radio on Sat nights? They have a show called Let's Talk Gardening. Most of the time they discuss outdoor plants, but in winter they talk about houseplants and what you can do outdoors in winter, etc.
    Check out the website.. www.wgn.com I think..Then click on radio and look on the left side of the screen. You can even listen to previous shows. About 8 yrs ago I was really sick, sounded terrible, and someone called in about growing Hibiscus..well, the host didn't know the answer, (he knows more about outdoor plants) so I called w/an answer..We got to talking and he sent me a 25.00 gift certificate for gethsemane..That's how I found the store..LOL. So, we drove out there and I was shocked at their prices..bought a camellia, which was priced 65.00, but since I had the certificate, bought it.
    BTW, if you plan on going to JG's, call first to see if they've had any shipments come in..talk to ppl who are working in the gh..Mention the plant/s you want..I'd bet the girl who works w/plants can order it for you, Kirstin. She's really a nice person, too..Don't panic when you first walk in and look at their bigger plants. LOL..When you walk down the aisles you'll find 4"+ pots and there's where the deals come. I got a Solandra for 4.00 last summer..It was about 5-6' tall..It grows on a stake. If I were to order this plant online it'd cost a small fortune. Now I feel like going to JG's..lol..Let me know when you're going, perhaps we can meet there..Toni

• tropicanarama
    19 years ago

Hey, instead of just accepting the refusal, get on the phone with Gethsemane and keep asking to be transfered to supervisors until you get to the owner, and then freak out on them. If you stay calm/temperless/not ranty (I feel for you because I *love* ranting when I'm mad), and you hang on like a bulldog, you'll eventually get your money back. If you make yourself enough of a persistent PITA without letting your temper have at it (as tempting as that is, I know - I've had garden centers do stuff that made me go utterly ballistic), they'll give you the money to make it stop! You probably can outspend them in terms of energy from the sounds of it - it's worth a try.

I'd love to help you find this plant in the size you need, too. Other sources you could check out:

- Avant Gardens (www.avantgardensne.com) has an epi oxypetalum in either a 3 x 4.5" pot or a 7" pot (it's not clear from the website.) They have a 94% Garden Watchdog rating.

- Almost Eden plants (http://almostedenplants.com) has an epi oxypetalum in a 4.5" pot. They have a 92% GW rating.

The San Diego Epiphyllum Society has a page of sources for epi cuttings. They'd be worth a try (although many of them are just too far off the radar to be on Watchdog, I checked.)

Junglecactus.com also has a beautiful selection of epis, and are 100% positive at GW - I didn't find epi oxypetalum specifically, but maybe they have some other goodies there that you would like.

Also, you've probably already done this, but check out the Cacti & Succulents Forum and the Fragrant Plants forum. I noticed that in the cacti exchange several people have actually traded rooted cuttings of epi oxypetalum with each other - which is even better because it's FREE! :)

I'm sorry you had such trouble over this. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to find out about such a beautiful plant - I didn't even know it existed!

• Kerstin_Linnea
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hahaha, you guys are wonderful, thank so much for the symphaty..
    - There's nothing like sitting down with a cup of coffee and read Gardenweb.
    I have a ton of things to do today so I'll be brief.
    My tantrum was more like a warcall than sincerely meant, I feel like such a reject because Gesthemane is right around the corner and I did always like spending time there.
    I get selfconscious sometimes and worry about the people out there thinking I am complete nut..
    I guess I tried to funny and take the edge of my previous hour of spewing discontent.

I am sitting scrolling through your responses, It is hard to tick them off chronologically, so ..
    I did talk to the general buyer when I placed the order for the e. ocypetalum. I also called back after I realized that I had the wrong plant.
    I can be very stubborn but they were adamant about it.
    Their policy is not to accept returns.'

(regarding the their plant sales, I love them too,possible mixups are ok then, I got material for a whole new 10ft perannial bed last oct. *toothy grin*
    I am very excited to see what comes up this year)

I have never heard of gardenradio, I knew it probably was out there, I just didn't know were, I don't know any other gardener here so this stuff is terribly useful for me.
    We bought a new tv 2 months ago and my husband called me in while programming the channels, he found channel 56 that was right then showing a gardenprogram.!!! wohee!
    I was doing somersaults in the livingroom.

When I talked to the nurseries they indeed told me that their deliveries are starting to pick up.
    I am dying to go there, T, I 'd like meeting up sometimes!
    So cool to have another fellow gardener for purchases and scouting.
    I have actually thought about asking for people intrested in going down to hallson gardens in the spring, rumour has it that they got mad prices. actually if you are not familar with them look them up!
    I placed this kind of large order with them once and the year later they mailed me for a status report and suggestions on what to do if any of the plants were reluctant.
    Last summer I was asking about a kind of anemone's, they are native to sweden, these bloom in masses early spring, a sure sign we're all done with winter
    the name is anemone thalictroides, and when I was a child we picked these on our way to school for our teachers and mothers,
    The blue version is under protection, and more rare in the wild, but oh so beautiful, back home these grew were the
    bluberrys grow, pineforest and dappled shade, cool quiet
    conditions, it is called 'Blasippa' in swedish,
    the white kind 'vitsippa' is much more social, ditches, cow pastures, birch forests and everything in between. lovely, absolutley lovely, but I am rambling.

anyways, I ask these guys about it and they tell me to get down to the nusery were they sell the gallons for a couple of bucks

I mail back asking them of they could extend the offer as I had problems getting down there and needed some time to plan,
    -the reply was that is not a offer, it is the standard price when in stock.
    !!!!!

I really want to go see their nursery in person, and shop of course...
    I think they are in michigan somewhere..?

Oh, dd, lazy and uncaring is the very cornerstones of evil..
    It is the beginning of the end.
    (naturally, I am not talking about lazy as in rather siting yapping away on gweb instead of springcleaning the house, let's keep things in their perpective)

In this case I resent indifference and again, if that is what you are in a service oriented job, you need to change profession.

This is actually one of few things my husband and I argue about.

He tells me I expect too much and that makes me frustrated.
    I expect people to take pride in their work and the fact that they to the best they can do according to their abilities.
    any job you get paid for has dignity, and with that comes responsibility.
    To do well.
    to be honest.

extremisms aside, I think it is simply a clasisc case of transplant shock, I am from a very small town with a homogenic setting,business are held accountable and nobody carries guns.. ( rifles and axes not included,;)
    -things are of course different at home now too but I am simply trying to set the atmosphere, a pinch of salt is good for everything!)

My husband on the other hand, born and raised innercitykid has a very different perspective.
    So we clash, and I still think my way is better....

oh well,

regarding the hoyas, I do actaully have a longer list but it is the lacunosa I really like to have a estblished plant of.
    these are the others , that I just get small,
    H. Macgillivryai () tounge twister and wrongspelled I am sure.
    H.archboldiana
    H. odorata or australis, I looked for the obvorata but haven't seen much info..

the epis:
    e. anguliger= really like a big plant.
    e. oxypetalum sml,
    e. vista sun. sml,

I would like to get a rhipsalidopsis but a miniature easy blooming kind,- am still looking in to that..
    I am also intrested in the aporophyllum for a friend but the cultivars are less important and I'd be open to buy these from jamaican gardens and others, as long as they know what they talk about will say, - as if I would know..
    *salty*

I am not ready to budge on h. lacunosa,e. Anguliger and I want them now,

the h.mac ( which I see is going to be a long term project, well I guess I got my very first collector's list. :-)

Mercy! it is already past noon!!
    all I missed I'll adress later and aplogies for a rather unedited version, I am soooo late!
    klk

• dirtdiver
    19 years ago

Hi Kerstin,
    I too looked up some of the plants you're growing and learned a couple of things (I don't really grow tropicals except for a couple of bananas and brugmansias). You are, of course, correct that customer-service employees should practice good customer service, and I'll agree that laziness and indifference often bring about misery if not necessarily evil. Your hometown sounds pretty. I grow a small bit of anemonella thalictroides myself, and though I don't think I'd drive all the way to Michigan for it, I would have been happy to have found it for just a couple of bucks--though I think it was inexpensive even from the Oregon/Washington nurseries. Sounds like we don't live all that far from each other. If you're roaming the nurseries come spring and you find yourself on Dempster in Evanston, there's a little place called Andre's tucked away just off of McCormick. It's tiny, and more oriented toward annuals (many of which they seem to lovingly produce), a hoophouse of reasonably nice perennials plus a smattering of other stuff (no way will you find your hoyas there), but it's not a bad place to have on your radar screen if you're looking to buy scented geraniums, herbs or whatever and you're boycotting GG.

• Kerstin_Linnea
    Original Author
    19 years ago

well, here is some good news that I am very pleased to share,
    I have just purchased two hoya's, a lacunosa and a archboldiana, from a very nice lady in hawaii,
    (wow,-gweb just told me I am not allowed to name the nursery in question???)... is the nursery and I am confident that I'd be very happy with the plants, she's got incredible ratings on watchdog and is very helpful.
    wow. I am so excited!
    No epis in sight thou'......

I mailed over a picture of my present hoya and was told that it is way too overpotted, I took care of that today and am in 'expecting times'..
    I have several pictures of it, I just do not know how to post them here..
    hmm?
    anybody wanna see?
    I do not know for sure what her real name is and that would be helpful to know.

Dirtdiver, is that the blue version you are growing? of anomella thalictroides?
    klk

• kevin_5
    19 years ago

I think Gethsemane is a wonderful place, but I admit to only shopping for trees and shrubs there. The employees that I have dealt with there have been awesome, and all plants have a 1 year guarantee. Fortunately, I have never had to use it. They have plants that just can't be found anywhere else in Chicagoland.

• dirtdiver
    19 years ago

Hi Kerstin,
    I grow anemonella thalictroides, which as far as I know (granted, my knowledge coming from the AHS encyclopedia, not the Swedish hort equivalent), grows only in white, or maybe white tinged with pink or green. Is it possible the blue anemone you seek could be anemone nemorosa? Which can indeed be either bluish or white? If so, I've never noticed it at a local nursery, but plenty of the choicer mail-order places carry it.

You might appreciate the following quote taken from a page on the plant: "Linnaeus noticed that in Sweden the Wood Anemone flowered at the same time as the return of the swallow, and that the Marsh Marigold was contemporaneous with the cuckoo."

• seedy_z5
    19 years ago

Kerstin,

I don't have much experience with Gethsemane, but I do have a huge epiphyllum oxypetalum that would probably be thrilled if I gave you a cutting. E-mail me if interested. I know there's some naming confusion with the various epis so, just in case, the one I have is just like the one on the page below.

Here is a link that might be useful: epi

• desertfan
    19 years ago

Kerstin,

I disagree with your characterization of this as "bordering on fraudulent behavior." This is not "bordering" on fraud, it IS fraud.

You ordered a specific plant, they took your money and gave you a plant, but it is not what you ordered and what they claimed it to be. That you have some other plant is really not relevant. You still do not have what you paid for. You contacted them to notify them of the error, and gave them an opportunity to fix it, and they refused. At least one person even told you it is their normal business practice to misidentify plants they sell. In other words, deliberately committing fraud is part of their normal business practice.

It's all very well for them to say "they don't accept returns" but you are not returning a purchase -- you still don't even have the plant you actually paid for. You have some other plant they gave you, not the one you paid for. You are entitled to receive what you paid for, or a refund of your money. If they won't refund your money or give you what you paid for, they have stolen from you by way of fraud.

I agree with tropicanarama: call them back and keep asking to speak to the person's supervisor until you get satisfaction. Doesn't matter if it was two months or two years ago: you still don't have what you paid for. You may need to go to the manager or owner (who might be difficult to reach, but keep trying). Your practice of noting the names of everyone you deal with will be useful here. You will be able to state something like "On (date) I spoke with (name) and told her this was not the plant I ordered, and she refused to fix the problem. She also stated it was routine at your nursery to sell people the wrong plant..." and so forth.

The good thing about doing this on the phone is that you can make notes for yourself ahead of the conversation, and follow your "outline" in presenting your case. Stay calm, even cheerful if you can manage it -- the people who are unfailingly friendly but unwilling to go away are the ones who most often get results. Be prepared to cheerfully drive 'em mad with persistence. Take the attitude that "I paid for a (specific plant) on (date) and I still have not yet received the plant. When can I expect the plant?" When they say "You got it on (date)" that's your cue to say "No, that was a (other plant) you gave me in error and told me you didn't want back. I'm still waiting for the (originally ordered plant)." They'll be baffled, repeat again they gave you a plant, and you hit 'em with "I paid for a (original plant). You assured me the plant you gave me was a (original plant) but it was a (other plant) instead. You can't mean your intent was to sell me an (other plant) as an (original plant), can you? That would be fraud! And I know you can't mean you deliberately defrauded me." In other words, treat it as an honest mistake or oversight which you are confident the person you're now talking to will fix. From what their one staff person told you, it wasn't accidental at all, but this approach lets the person you talk to save face and be the helpful angel swooping in to make it right. Most people would rather be the savior who fixes a problem than admit they represent or own a crooked business.

Definitely make a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. Some businesses will fix a problem just to keep their BBB record clean. Filing the complaint will give the nursery more incentive to fix the situation. It will also alert other consumers.

If the nursery just won't fix it, alert the District Attorney where they do business, and whatever local newspapers/radio/TV outlets have consumer-oriented shows. No, the DA isn't likely to prosecute them based on one letter, but your own history with them, and the statements made by their staff, show a pattern. If enough customers let the fraud squad at the local DA's office know what's going on, something may happen. It's worth a letter, anyway. As for the media, catching them in the act at this would be an easy story for them to do. If any local station/newspaper has a consumer show where they go to bat for individual consumers, they may even be able help you out personally. You can't guarantee the DA or media will respond, but you'll have done your civic duty.

You may also want to file in Small Claims Court, or whatever it's called in your area. This is usually very easy, doesn't require a lawyer, and doesn't cost much.

Sorry this is such a long post -- merchants ripping people off just bugs the heck out of me. :-)

• chocochris
    18 years ago

Hi Kerstin,
    We go to Gesthemane fairly regularly and now that I think of it, I think its always been to look at sales (especially that end of summer sale) or seeds or just to browse - not really looking for a specific plant but now I know better. Its TERRIBLE that they would misrepresent their merchandise especially since they project an image of upscale service and high level garden expertise. I have had the experience of talking with sales people who are terribly pretentious and condescending. They don't stop to consider that some of their customers actually KNOW what they are talking about and what they are looking for. I think that I have also spoken with Vilma mentioned above and she was very helpful.

I think your reaction fits the situation. I can't imagine going to another type of store having ordered one product and getting another - isn't that also called "bait and switch"??

Anyways, I wanted to share my experience with you. I will heed your warnings about them.

Take care and good luck!
    Chris

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Chris, I'm the person who mentioned Vilma..She's an elderly woman, short, but that lady has super energy..she holds two jobs..
    I was in Chicago today, and forgot all about gethsemane..and I need annuals..
    Beware of 'hardy' passionvine..they rot before Nov/Dec even when heavily mulched..It'd be nice if we all met some time..
    If you guys/girls don't mind heading south, Ted's Nursery in Tinley Pk is exceptional..Sid, (can't recall the town) is a town or two over from Ted's..Ted's has beautiful plants of all types includiing hardy bananas (banjoo) Toni

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

It is against the law for a business to sell plants of any kind without a name tag. A verbal mention of the name or a sign posted on the sale table identifying the plants on that table as 'such and such' is also not good enough if there are not individual plant tags in each pot. If the exact name is not known the tag may say 'perennial' or annual or 'tropical' or 'assorted tropicals' 'assorted perennials' etc
    At least that way the buyer knows as much as the seller.
    Sue
    "The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

• Kerstin_Linnea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello all,
    I went in on the midwest a couple of days ago and I was supprised to see that this thread was still alive and kickin' so to say,
    -this incident happened late winter and I have not placed any more specialty orders with gg, I have been in to the store though.
    No doubt they take care of their plants, my ggperennials are all growing well if not excellent, that isn't, or was ever, the issue.

I disagree that the individual responses is 'dragging a god upscale business in the mud, -some poster have had actual negative experience.
    As it is posters in plural, It can't be a anomaly either..

-the claim they are making of being 'Specialty', not to mention the prices they run, holds them to a higher standard than the run of the mill haymarket sales.
    I resent having my experience trivialised like that,
    I did give the company several chance's to correct their error and got a cold stare and a shrug as a response.

Basically, they are opening themselves to criticism.

When I posted this thread initially, my main concern was, apart from sheer frustration, that I had missed some sort of a sales policy or a customary way to to conduct business,
    If I would have been told that this is a normal way of selling plants, I would have grumbled, and no doubt ranted some too, but I would have accepted it and adjusted my purchases accordingly.

The majority of posters seem however to be responding with sympathy and similar outrage over the unfairness.

That tells me it was not ok and I did not expect too much from a business that claims to be a specialty nursery

It also opens up the question what exactly 'specialty' consist's of..?

Again all the plants are doing well.
    But are they all the exact plant I originally ordered? NO!

Instead of shrinking my collection to a precious few, I have by far too many that I indeed care for but didn't want.

(I did find my hoyas and a garden angel of mercy stepped out of the screen and traded me a huge 5ft tall e. oxypetalum.
    *THANK YOU* blessed woman.)

-I wish to clarify that my previous chantings was more a sort of blowing steam rather than actually going on a crusade against gg, if anything I wish they would treat me or future customers better.

My profound apologies for failing to relay my intentions properly. I never wanted to offend anyone in my way of trying to be funny...( lack of better description) I do belive in grass roots movement though, especially when it comes to losing money.
    I will not bow on that, but will surely not be as playful, but rather more respectful in my posted opinions.

All this thread is saying is - that if you know what it is you are looking for and you are dead set to get that, GG is not the place to look first, or even second, and if you were to venture in, bring a damn good BOOK with you.
    There are obviously other discriminating collector's out there who would be ticked off substantially by getting the wrong cultivar...
    I am not pursuing the issue any further beyond talking about it here, I am not filing for bbb and do not feel like it is my mission to tell everybody I know to stay clear.

It is simply not worth the time for me, I found the rhip a good foster home and am also happy with my newest members.

Time to move on, new discoveries to make, mistakes to live trough,and raging successes to be inspired by,

But I most certainly have bumped gg down to the bottom of the list, they'll only get my attention at the sales if any, -my beds are doing reall well by now and I too am getting more picky.

I will restrict my activity with this posting as I feel I have done what I set out to do, get feedback . If more people fall in line and add similar experience's , it should be duly noted that this is not a 'campaign' against gg.
    -But rather a sign that the business is failing in some aspects of service, which is troublesome or should be at least. Some Customers leave unhappy & frustrated.

Fellas, It seems to be nigh perfect for the gardening chores today and I better get me bum going.

Thank you all for a lively conversation.

Sincerely: KLK.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    18 years ago

When I lived in Chicago I bought all the shrubs for my new house from Gethsemane. NONE were what they were labeled. The "white" lilac and the "Dark Purple" were both the much more ordinary lavendar color. The yellow trumpet vine was the ordinary orange. The pink clematis was a lavendar too. It seems like they were labelling everything as a more desireable or unusual variety than what it really was. Its been years but it's interesting to see that they are still doing it.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

For the prices Gethsemane charges, they should not only label with correct names, but hand over a certificate of authenticity.
    There's one woman who works there, Vilma, (I once worked w/her at another plant nursery) who knows her stuff..I bought an alleged hardy to z5 passionvine from Gethsemane, for a reasonable price..15.00..It was a big plant, and she told me, Toni, I wouldn't plant that outside..it won't make it..Well, I kept it potted about 5 yrs, (it was deciduous) and it grew even larger..then one summer I decided to divide in half, grow half in the garden and keep half in case it didn't make it, but the roots were so tangled I planted the whole plant..sure enough, it died that winter, and our winters have been very mild..so much so that my morning glory and petunias have reseeded themselves w/o protection, and emerged in spring. That passionvine might have been hardy to z7 and up but no way z5..They do have some nice houseplants, but you pay high costs..of course that's my view..Toni

• wildorchidman
    17 years ago

Poor you. I have experienced it too many times with them and not just with their plants, you would not believe it.

I need to first tell you my history with this garden center.

I have lived in Andersonville for 26 years. I live right next to the nursery. I had been a customer since the owners father sold on the corner of Clark and Victoria and would buy all my summer plants, pumpkins etc.

I have watched daily the growth of gethsemane and the changes in staff and the changes in the attitude of the owners. Accepting nothing stays the same, good for the community, they plant and maintain the medians between Clark N and S, great for advertising themselves.

There is much more, please understand I am not jealous, bitter or envious, just discusted for many reasons.

On to purchases. I bought annuals and pern. for years there most of the time because of quality, good customer service and value. There were times that flats or outdoor and indoor plants were infected with some bug or slug, I just dealt with it and forgot about it.

3 different times were just unbelievable.

We bought 3 different shrubs, all missed marked for color and type. NO REFUND OR EXCHANGE.

BULBS, MISSED MARKED IF THEY GREW, MOST DIDN'T EVEN SHOW SIGNS OF LIFE. NO REFUND OR EXCHANGE.

LAST STRAW, A $130.00 ORCHID INFESTED WITH WORMS. I WAS HOME 3 HOURS, CALLED THEM, WENT BACK TO THEM AND FREAKED OUT, WAS ASKED TO LEAVE AND LEFT THE PAID ORCHID THERE AND WILL NEVER RETURN.

Like I said, I live right next to them. I'm active in this community and have supported the growth of this mans business for years. It gets better.

GETHSEMANE ETHICS???

Have put up there own stop signs in the alley. Painted there own cross walks in the alleys.

Puts cones on Clark and Victoria in parking places. If that doesn't work they put their blue carts in parking spaces. If that doesn't work, they put the little bobcat ( that's a machine) in spaces.

The corner of Clark and Victoria there is a fire hydrante, trucks, bobcat is constantly violating parking in that zone.

Racks and Racks of Flowers on the sidewalk of Clark and on each side of Victoria with a path inbetween the rubble and their merchandise. I might mention that also violates more than one code as well as obstructing vision for traffic coming from both directions of the alley and turning onto Clark from Victoria.

Clanging of carts and slamming metal polls on the cement at 5:30 in the morning to stop their carts from rolling in the street.

The fat man that screams at the top of his voice at the yes, Mexicans as if they were I don't know, I talk to animals better than he treats him employees. Interesting, I doubt any of them are legal and I'm sure he pays them little or nothing for wages, oh, on hot crazy busy days he buys them pizza and they have their lunch standing eating off of one of the customer carts.

Employees sneaking in fear in the alleys to smoke a cigarette or just get a break.

Employees say alot about a business. The loyal ones are no longer and the new ones have such an attitude they could care less if you come there or not because the volume is what now keeps them in business. They sell to nurserys, landscape companies and the customers walking out with 100s and 100s of dallars worth of plants are secondary, unless you are buying a $6,000.00 tree, then perhaps you will be recognized or helped. Yes there are 2 ladies still working there, one inside at the register with silver hair and an older lady that works in gardening, both amazing helpful women.

It's the attitude that has not only discusted me, but most of the surroding neighbors. The lack of professionalism, inconsideration for the cummunity,for the people that relax, own, live, enjoy, park and walk here that has me discusted. Ethics. The ownership doesn't have any. Like one employee told me, he doesn't care, he wants BIGGER BIGGER BIGGER. Greed is ugly, I have seen it with my own eyes. So neighbors, sell your house or building to him so he can tear it down, for now the free hospital parking is now gone, he has to provide parking for customers but that is not priority, if you noticed, the 4 houses that were tore down is now the site for trees.

Yeah, it's good for the cummunity, to grow, expand. Perhaps he and his wife should have taken some management courses some people/customer service skills are certainly lacking.

I could have overlooked almost all of this, but too many plants were mislabeled or not of quality that I paid for and they could have cared less. My money comes to hard to put it in the trash for an ungrateful business owner.

So people coming from all sides of the city and lots that come from the north shore and suburbs, think twice unless you have so much money it doesn't matter and customer service and good business practice means nothing to you.

Oh, the second to the last straw. In the gift shop 4 years ago they had a one of a kind doll. At the time it was around $450.00. I was there shopping and the owners wife was in the shop. I told her I didn't have my cc with me if she would hold it I would love to buy it for my mother for Christmas, no problem I was on my way. I didn't go back the same day for some reason. The next day I returned to buy it. The owner wasn't there and the doll was no where to be found. The sales lady said she would try to call her. I was given the phone, the owner, once you seen or talk to her you will never forget it CATTY UPPIDDY AND MISERABLE> She told me she had decided not to sell it, she wanted to keep it herself that it looked really nice on her mantel. Do you believe it. Even after that I purchase the orchids, siily me.

Good luck to future customers at that place.

• oakleif
    17 years ago

I feel like this nursery comitted fraud also.
    I s'nt one of the tv small claims courts like Judge Joe Brown coming from Chicago? might be fun to take gethsemane there. If you have the time. They might give you your money back in a hurry if you mentioned it to them.
    I know. i'm an ugly person. I also could'nt afford to spend much money on a plant i did'nt want.
    oakleif

• yardmartyr
    17 years ago

I don't know how far you're willing to travel, but up here in the northern burbs we have a couple of great, reliable garden centers: Horvat and Country Garden. Both are on Grand Ave. a little west of Gurnee Mills (Country Garden is at Rt. 45 and Horvat is just west of 45). Both have knowledgeable salespeople, and most plants have limited guarantees, even after planting. We moved up here only last year, and these nurseries have been incredibly helpful.