Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerstin_linnea

current boxstores offering.

Kerstin_Linnea
19 years ago

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody's been in to home depot, menards, lowes etc in and around chicago,

I am located in albany prk and would also be interested in what's going on in skokie.

Has the lillies been stocked yet? what about houseplants?

I am always on the look out for good sturdy ponytail palm, (Beacurnea recurvata)orchidcactuses, especially the easter cactuses That should be on it's way...

Spotted any helelboruses yet?

KLK

Comments (8)

• tadeusz5
    19 years ago

Kerstin; I myself stay away in the spring time from the box stores, I go instead to a Nursery in Grant Park,illinois usually with my sister, her friends and my 80 year old mom - she is the one who has thought me her methods of gardening . We obtain spring plants like Pansies, Violas, Dianthus by April 1st. I obtain them in Flats of 48, Quality #1 + price reasonable, later in the season May 1, it's another turn for some geraniums, marigolds, vegetables, perrenials, shrubs maybe.Fall time for sale on perrenials, shrubs, trees , and other goodies. Thus I found mine magical nursery without going to a box store. I hate the way the box stores maintain their shipments of plants. Yet in the "magical" nursery that I go to, I can see the whole works , from little itty-bitty seedlings to flowering stages. It's a masterpiece in the far southern suburbs. Woldhuis Farms.

• Kerstin_Linnea
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi thadeusz!
    Yes I ordinarily get my stuff from more reputable source's, mainly, actually now, exclusively from mail order.
    I was wondering more from a 'scavenger' perspective, I can't help looking for cheap finds, the boxstores are perfect for that, only if you are not looking for a special cultivar that is,

I found one of my absolute favorite houseplant at homedepot, one single plant of philodendron 'brasil' was left.
    make a google and you'll see something spectacular.-sorry, I do not know how to post pic's..
    I can't even begin to describe this plant when the sun starts filtering in through the window.
    O wow.
    I paid 2.99 for it and it was in a large 8 inch pot...
    a real good deal.
    I don't get to go so often and thought it was a good idea to ask what's going on, with the season kicking in and all.
    It seems like no one is interested though...?

klk

• misoilman
    19 years ago

Nurseries are nice, but there is nothing better than getting plants for 90% off at the end of the season at HD. Yea, they are knockin on deaths door when you get them, but a little trimming and care brings them back quickly.

In MI they dont have a whole lot yet. Another week till we see more selection.

• Kerstin_Linnea
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yah!
    I agree to that misoilm, have you seen anything fun yet?
    klk

• tadeusz5
    19 years ago

Kerstin;

$9.90 a flat of 48

Picked-up today Sorbet SUNNY ROYALE- viola cornuta
    Sorbet COCONUT SWIRL - viola cornuta
    Viola Skippy YELLLOW F1 HYBRID
    Skippy PUrple Bright FACE- viola cornuta

Atlas Purple Smile - Pansy
    ATlas YELLOW - Pansy
    Atlas Purple - Pansy
    Atlas Yellow /w blotch-Pansy

Floral Lace Purple -Dianthus
    ------------------------------------------------

3- Super Trouper Dark Violet Pot Carnations at $2.00 per pot
    1 Sagina subulata- Scotch Moss at $3.99

1- gallon pot of Dianthus gratianopolitanus 'Spotty' at $5.99

-------------------------------------------------

the Violas, Pansies and Dianthus will go into my garden as soon as the ground is workable.maybe next week, or week after.

• Kerstin_Linnea
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello thadeuzs,
    -would you know what the viola which is deep purple with a thin yellow/cream rim, ?
    It is quite possibly a perennial,fragrant and a selfseeder at that.
    10 bucks for 48 plants is decent.

Are you planting the swedish colors? ;-).. LOL..
    (drk blue/yellow)
    klk

• cherylk
    19 years ago

Last week at WM I picked up a couple of huge ee's with several eyes for 2.99 each as well as a bag of 12 or 15 mixed cannas for 5.00. I started the cannas inside this weekend and they looked very healthy (compared to what I have gotten at box stores in the past).

Cheryl

• tadeusz5
    19 years ago

Kerstin; that Viola Sorbet Sunny Royale is the closest to the Swedish Flag colors that I have a flat of 48 plants.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/14279/

yes I like the contrast of yellow vs Purple or Blue in Pansies, Violas ,and Dianthus-

Today some of those are in the ground , thus I am trying to beat the last of winter, Lol.

tadeusz.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus