Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianepmt_gw

plants heaving, also plant recommendations

dianepmt
17 years ago

I wasn't sure what forum to put this in - I'm a newbie gardner in zone 5 SE Michigan. I planted some new perennials and sedum groundcovers last Fall (and will likely have to move some of them anyway, since I think things will be too crowded). I thought I planted them deep enough, but we have had some very back and forth weather changes - freezing a week ago and 70 today, and I noticed a few days ago that some of them have heaved out of the ground. I need to get new mulch, it's nowhere near thick enough, and I had so many weeds last year. I assume the freeze/thaw thing is responsible for the heaving, but should I get more dirt and pile around ASAP with mulch, or should I dig them up now and re-plant deeper so early in the season?

Also, if anyone can recommend some low maintenence, maybe native plants for this area that blend nicely together, that would be much appreciated. I am pretty lost about what to put in. The previous owners planted two maiden grass against the house (beautiful but probably too big, floppy, and would now need a back hoe to get out of there, so they will probably stay until they look really bad - I heard the new growth is all on the outer perimeter), 3 lavendar plants, sedums, blue fescue, cone flower, and... oh, that stuff with the tallish, stiff purple stocks - salvia, I think. We also have a small Japanese maple that probably needs to be moved to the back. I have a lot of feathery stuff, but I feel like it needs some other textures and ideally different blooming times. There is nothing on either side of the front walk by the porch, I pulled out some overgrown spreading low junipers, and I think I need something with a little height there. I'm finding I love the idea of spending a lot of time creating a beautiful garden, but the reality of it is entirely different - just not enough time, so I'm aiming for fairly low maintenance.

Comment (1)