Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piegirl_gw

asparagus up

piegirl
20 years ago

Looked yesterday, nothing. And lo and behold, late this afternoon six spears were showing about an inch! I ran like a five year old to my neighbor yelling guess what guess what's showing in the garden. Fortunately, she understands. the first daffodils are blooming and the leaves are forming on the rhubarb. This would have to be the earliest ever in my area. I am so excited! Piegirl

Comments (13)

• cherylk
    20 years ago

Where are you located?

• kev56
    20 years ago

Same here. In southcentral indiana had 4 or 5 of the little darlings poke their heads up.

• piegirl
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Cheryl - I'm in Lincoln, NE so this is(I think) extremely early for asparagus - but I am thrilled. Hope for a really long season. It is so early, I haven't been to the hardware store for my bags of compost/manure. Usually put down 40-60 lbs on asparagus and rhubarb. And today the daffodills fully opened - wonderful, wonderful - maybe 100 or so are open. Happy Spring - piegirl

• cherylk
    20 years ago

Oh my gosh! 'Course you all have had some warm weather recently (a lot earlier than usual?) DH just cut ours back a couple of weeks ago - this is the 4th year so it ought to be a good crop :)

• piegirl
    Original Author
    20 years ago

cheryl - we've had extremely warm weather for this time of year. Tonight I PICKED THE FIRST SEVEN SPEARS OF ASPARAGUS with more tomorrow. The heat has forced most the daffodils into bloom - they look stunning but they should bloom over several weeks. And I had to shade my spinach plants (overwintered). The heat has forced the buds on the tulips too. The cherry tree is ready to bloom. I am really afraid the other shoe will drop and wham - 8 inches of snow. Piegirl

• cherylk
    20 years ago

Piegirl, I do understand your fear of the other shoe dropping - been there, done that. We had spinach overwinter last year and it just amazed me!

After reading your post last week I went out several times over the weekend to check on ours (it can come up so quickly ya know), but alas, still nothing. Before DH and I bought our house, we used to drive the country roads in the Spring looking for wild asparagus - used to come home with some motherlodes.

Cheryl

• applefan
    20 years ago

Wow! I need to check first thing tomorrow!!

We love roasted asparagus and chilled asparagus in salads... I just copied an asparagus soup recipe that looks great. Anyone have a recipe to share??

I just looked back at last years records and my first asparagus picking was April 15. We had such a cool sping that I had good asparagus till the first week of June.

Jean

• cherylk
    20 years ago

When it comes to "mixing" asparagus with anything else, I use the store bought kind for recipes as they usually require something additional to bring out any taste.

The stuff I grow at home is lucky to even make it to the kitchen to steam - a lot of the time it only makes it to the hose for a quick wash and then I start munching away.

Cheryl

• cherylk
    19 years ago

MINE'S UP!!!!!!!!!

Got about a dozen that popped up this weekend. Not feeling so left out now.

Cheryl

• lindy47
    19 years ago

Had 7 spears last Fri. So cold today hard to get enthused about looking. Never had roasted and would like a better soup recipe than my current. We eat so much the "potty" can tell it's in season! LOL

• cherylk
    19 years ago

Well, so much for our first batch... It never even made it to the refrigerator - we both just started munching on some of the smaller spears and before you know it there was nothing left to cook!

• norton72
    19 years ago

Hi. I am wondering about what I think is wild Asparagus in my yard. I am pretty much disabled, and have a hard time hiking around (Also very lazy) my acre that is pretty much flat, and sandy here in Montana.
    Before I mowed it all down, I pulled up some plants and put them in a plastic garbage container. They are two or three feet tall, and standing in a foot or two of water. Also I wonder if the ones I mowed will come back next year. I love the stuff!!!! love to cook for others, and would like to know what to do with it/them, if my transplating idea is at all viable.

P.S. Today I see the ditches around my neighborhood is full of these plants. Also I wonder if I might post a jpg of my tub of plants to make sure they are really what I think they are. (I am 99% sure)

Sincerely.
    Greg/norton72

• dlsummers
    18 years ago

Here in NE Ohio, zone 5, crazy weather (snow one day, 70 degrees the next)has been the norm this winter. Haven't seen any sign of spears yet. Can't wait for them to come up.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?