Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Started my first seeds inside....

Posted by applefan z5 chicago (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 05 at 23:56

Even with our 20 degree weather, I know Summer will arrive. I just started snaps, phlox, asters, columbine, and kale under lights....10 weeks from our average last killing frost. I'll be starting different seeds inside each week. I hope I can also start my spinach and lettuce outside in pots on the patio soon...BUT I have to be able to dig in the soil...and after listening to Tom Skilling (our weatherman)...that will be a while as we seem to be getting our winter now.
I truly love Fall in Chicagoland...We Have No Spring!!!
Jean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Started my first seeds inside....

Jean,
You should check out the winter sowing forum (in exchanges). You can start all sorts of seeds right now and put them right out in the snow! 8-)
It's really a great way to start plants in the middle of the winter without having to take up all your indoor space.

Harriet

o
RE: Started my first seeds inside....

I did the seed starting stuff for a few years, then ran out of energy. However, I still have the most beautiful lupines and delphinium plants that have thrived from those couple of years of experiments. White coneflower survived for a few years too. Anyway, it was fun, and very inexpensive to raise perennials that way. Have fun.
Pondy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here