Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mulched over direct sow

Posted by newbie85 none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 1:02

New to gardening. Built new flower bed this spring late feb early march. Planted several perinneals except I added mulch right after. After about a month I've seen no signs of growth other than a weed here and there.

I read today that the mulch will prevent seeds from germinating. I thought if I removed the mulch if the seeds would start to or continue to germinate. I just dont want to waste time during prime planting season if it is too late to save those seeds. Do I need to replant after removing the mulch or do I leave the mulch on? I know mulch has advantages so if it isn't bad I'll leave it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mulched over direct sow

It depends on what was sown. A lot of species need light to germinate, so the seeds could be OK if you remove the mulch. But, how will you know exactly where the seeds are??? Others may have begun to germinate under there, and then died because they couldn't break through to the light.

Given the circumstances, overall, I say you're probably better off chalking this one up to experience and starting fresh.

o
RE: mulched over direct sow

Definitely replant. You could wait forever. How did it turn out? Have you considered pre-sprouting? Soak them overnight, place them on a paper towel that's wet but not dripping, fold it up, and put it in a plastic baggy. Check it at least twice a day after 24 hours. (This adds air.) It must stay damp. I put it somewhere warm, in most cases. It depends on the seed variety.

When you see that a root is beginning to protrude, plant in well-prepared ground, or in 6-packs. It works for me. Good luck!

And being a newbie is great. You'll have tons of fun learning and researching. These mistakes are one we all made, so don't feel badly. :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here