Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julia_123

Did the Freeze Kill These????

julia_123
17 years ago

All right, it froze last night. When I came outside this morning, I saw that my yarrow, my lilacs, peonies, etc., were all wilted. Are they dying?? Is there anything I can do?? ARGH, it's supposed to be cold for the next week. I knew that tender plants like seedlings had to be covered but these are all "tougher" plants that came up on their own accord and have been for years. Thought they'd be all right. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (4)

• kcbarbara
    17 years ago

My plants kept up the good fight until last night. Poor things. This morning the bleeding heart and celadine poppy, which had stood so proud, are sagging to the ground, as are other plants like the daylilies and Japanese Maple. Even the ajuga is looking shriveled. It's supposed to be even colder tonight! Augggh.

I brought in every pot that could be hoisted and my house looks like a nursery but the plants in the ground are on their own. Too many and too windy to keep them all adequately covered.

My guess is that most of the plants will perk up when the temps warm but the spring blooming stuff is toast for this year. Well, as my fairly unsympathetic husband put it "That's nature for ya."

• maria
    17 years ago

Looks like there will be few lily blooms this year. Most are frozen and bent over. Most of the perennials and roses fared ok. Among the perennials, the Asian Ginger, Cimicifuga, Kiregeshoma and Persicarias look the worst. Even the invasives like Lysimachia and Artemisia look bad. Some of the Heucheras and Hostas look alright, but a few look bad. Among the shrubs-Weigelas and Buddleias fared the worst. I'm hoping and praying for the Japanese Maples, poor things have already leafed out, but now the leaves all look shriveled.

Some Aquilegias and Campanulas were already in bud, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll still see flowers this year.

The late blooming tulips look like they're ok...so far.

• hairmetal4ever
    17 years ago

All the tulips here look OK too. Daffodils were mostly in full bloom here before the freeze. Those that were open - leaves OK but a bit limp (not soft or mushy though) and the flowers themselves appear alive, but the stems have fallen.

The lilacs will be toast this year.

• Central_Cali369
    17 years ago

wow, i really feel sorry for youguys up there. we had a severe freeze this year in January. We hadnt had temps in the 20s since 1998. but this january we had temps in the 20s for about a week. i went crazy covering all of my plants- especially the citrics, brugmansias, baouganvilleas, cannas, guavas, erythrinas, peace lilies, australian tree ferns, dwarf tree ferns, princess flower shrubs, queen palms, washingtonia robusta palms, canary island date palms.... but despite my hard work many of my plants died to the ground and two died, a queen palm and a dwarf tree fern. everything else began coming back up in late february. its all a matter of time.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus