Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anya_101

New to this forum

anya_101
17 years ago

Hi all,

Old to G W forums, but new to this one. I live in central Illinois (Peoria area). Glad to have found this forum, so much closer to home. : )

Just got back from a trip to Hawaii and was so happy to find thing greening up here at home again. Got out and mowed my yard in shorts & t-shirt right after I returned, just to be back in sweats and jeans again the next day,

"Bummer"!

I too have had a lot of frost damage to flowers and shrubs. With the ones like bleeding hearts and lilies,

I just cut back to ground so they can regrow from scratch. Most perennials in my beds look bad, but I am figuring most if not all should recover and send forth new growth, even my Japanese maple (I hope).

Rose

Comments (7)

• webkat5
    17 years ago

I think the common consensus among growers and nurseries is to leave them alone so they can decide how they want to recover...cutting them down to the ground will force them to put through TONS of extra energy which they simply don't have right now...could kill them off.

Welcome to the forum! :o)

• anya_101
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi again Webkat,

Glad to see you in here too. Thanks for the welcome. :o)

I didn't mean that is what I have done yet. That is what I do with the plants "once the frozen dead parts are dried and shriveled up, as soon as there are slight signs of new growth".
    This isn't the first time this has happened here...hard freezes after a lot of warm rain forcing things to start growing to early.

Rose

• webkat5
    17 years ago

This doesn't happen in our part of the country...we generally get enough lows balanced with the highs to keep them dormant until it is safe. So...how do they tend to fair after an event such as this? I am so worried about some of my plants....

• anya_101
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They usually make a good comback. I have never lost anything to date... knock on wood! : )

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

Welcome to the forum. I didn't have much growing except for some Crocus bulbs and they didn't seem to mind the cold and snow we got here in Chicago.

• anya_101
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi mrbrownthumb,
    Thanks for the welcome here. Yesterday we woke to some snow here, but not much.
    Looks like tonight will "hopefully" be the last freeze night we have, least for the next week? : )

• sscoop
    17 years ago

I am also new to the forum. I have been growing perennials
    for thirty plus years.. Yea I have had things nipped in the spring, lost a few to bad winters and destroyed a few
    by my own mistakes.. but boy I sure do not remember a
    bad freeze like this on my perennials. Was in tears last
    week, this week however I am now looking at it as a learning guide. Went crazly with Hostas 6 years ago but after fighting with them in the spring watching them get hailed on in summer and then they get tired from the August heat I have definately moved them down on my plant list. Going to be reorganizing my perennial beds. Want to
    add some small shrubs go stronger with more day lillies
    etc etc. Just hope I didnt lose any of my Japanese maples.
    I hope all my roses come back for me to take care of.
    My husband is wondering if he will be in tears because
    he hears me talking of replanting and redoing flower beds. Ha!!