Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to start planting?

Posted by Pantherman 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 05 at 9:53

I live in the upper-northwest area of Ohio, about 5-6 miles south of the Michigan border. I was wondering when I was supposed to start planting, all the tags for the seeds I see in stores say not to start till May, but I start the plants indoors (I hardly ever direct seed) and the weather here's been nice for a week now (above 40). Are the dates listed on the seed packets for direct sowing, or does it apply to everyone in the area, and if I plant my started plants outside say next week and frost comes along, will it kill them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to start planting?

Different vegetables require different dates. Lettuce, kale, radishes, onion plants, and peas are ok to direct sow now. About the middle of April you can direct sow carrots. Latter April and you can direct sow broccoli and transplant seedling broccoli. Late April you can plant potatoes.
May 15th on you can plant sweet corn, green beans, tomato plants, sweetpotatoes, gourds, pumpkins, melons, and most flowers.
I start a few things earlier, but use warming techniques on them.
Hope this gives some help.

o
RE: when to start planting?

It does, thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here