Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flwrpowr

where to buy plants in south central or sw WI

flwrpowr
19 years ago

Hi to all, Early next week I'll be heading out on this years first Spring plant finding mission. I will be in the SW and south central Wisconsin area and in eastern Iowa. Would members please share suggestions of their favorite nursery or retailer? So far my favorite is KW Greenery near Janesville. I appreciate your suggestions! Mary

Comments (14)

• FlowersForMyFarm
    19 years ago

I like the Flower Factory. Take Hwy 14 south out of Madison, go past Oregon, take a left on Cty Hwy A and go about 1.5 miles. It's on the left. They have a great selection - some of everything - and a nice selection of hostas too!

• virginia_w
    19 years ago

I second the Flower Factory suggestion. They have lots of daylilies and hostas, but other pernnials as well and lovely gardens.

• nanw_4wi
    19 years ago

Reads Creek Nursery on Hwy. 14 between Viroqua and Readstown

Indian Hollow Farms on Hwy. 14 between Readstown and Viroqua

Lincolnway Nursery on Hwy. 14 just a few miles before Indian Hollow

Hillside Greenhouse between Boscobel and Fennimore on Hwy. 61

Bear Valley Perennials, Hwy. 130 Hillpoint

Green Acres Nursery on Hwy. 14, Gotham

Pulvermacher's Lawn and Garden Center, Court St., Richland Center

I can highly recommend Indian Hollow and Reads Creek...have never visited the others.

Then of course there are the supermarkets and the WalMarts in between, and Dubuque, Iowa has a Lowe's with a good nursery selection.

There's also a great nursery near Onalaska (if you're going that far north) on Theatre Road called Rockwood Gardens....I can also highly recommend them

• MinnesotaSue_z4
    19 years ago

There is one in LaValle WI called Towne & Country Nursery; (608)-985-8058. You may want to call before going that way, I haven't talked to them lately but I am sure they are around.

• basic
    18 years ago

I'll 2nd Nanw's recemmendation for Read's Creek. It's a few miles south of Viroqua on Hwy 14/61 in a very scenic part of the state. If you're into unusual woody plants, this place is a must. I was there on 4/22 and bought a Paperbark Maple and Golden Shadows Pagoda Dogwood. I passed on a Acer 'White Tigress' and I'm still kicking myself for it. I called them yesterday and it's already gone. The owners are just the nicest people on earth and the whole atmosphere is very unpretentious. Considering the unusual stock they carry, I think the prices are pretty reasonable as well. This one is well worth the drive.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Read's Creek Nursery

• mary_lu_gw
    18 years ago

Wow...I didn't realize there were so many of us from the southwestern part of Wisconsin on this forum.

Thanks hostaMary for asking this question and everyone posting for the great suggestions, I too will have to check out some of these places. One of the things I always found frustrating was the lack of local places to buy perennials in our area.
    Mary Lu

• flwrpowr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I got to some of them on my trip and hopefully I'll be getting to the rest throughout the season :). In the spirit of sharing, a couple of places not mentioned but from my experience worth a stop are:

Kw's Greenery in Janesville (okay I mentioned it before but it is my favorite)

Enchanted Gardens in Evansville

America's best Flowers in Cottage Grove

TC's in Mt Hope

Kembells in Prairie du Chien

Steve's Ace Hardware in Dubuque, Iowa

Happy hunting to all!
    Mary

• jennymisek
    18 years ago

How about plant stores in east central WI? Appleton or Green Bay area?

• jan44
    18 years ago

How about a new Wisconsin Gardening Forum?

• flwrpowr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm in!

Mary

• nanw_4wi
    18 years ago

lol! Yeah!

I rarely visit this forum, as it covers quite a wide area, and there are rarely any Wisconsinites visiting...well, until now!

I had totally forgotten about Kemble's, Mary, and I've been there many a time!

• randyw
    18 years ago

I would like to add support to Basic's recommendation of Read's Creek Nursery. I've been there a couple of times, & everything Bob said is 100% accurate. Their variety, quality, & price (for the size of the plant) are amazing (it's interesting even to just walk through & see their stock.) They are very knowledgeable & helpful, both in person & when asking questions over the phone. If I lived closer (I'm in NW Iowa), they would likely be my first choice of where to buy trees & shrubs.

Best wishes,
    Randy W.

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

I live in Evansville-If I lurked around here more-I could have shared plants from K&W, enchanted vally and the flower factory. Enchanted Vally is for sale and has been for a long time. If anyone wishes a gardening business this would be a great place to own.

Read's Creek sounds like a place a need to visit. That part of Wisconsin is so beautiful

• craft_granny
    18 years ago

Hi everyone. It's been almost a year since I've been here. I'm sure glad to be back again. I'm all for a Wisconsin Forum. Can anyone tell me about soil needed for trilliums? I'm in the city and I have a strip of land about 4 feet wide and 20 feet long. It gets a bit of sun in the middle of the day and then again later afternoon from the west. I already have everberring raspberries growing there and there are a few trilliums under the bushes. They are soooo small, and completely dissapear but July. What do they need? Can anyone guide me?