Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smom40

Spring is here! What are you doing right now?

smom40
19 years ago

I have about 1/2 of my planting done, and DH is working on my trellis for my climbing rose. Even though dragging those big bags around are less than a joy, I'm getting that happy, digging in the dirt, feeling. :)

Comments (13)

• mrmorton
    19 years ago

Spring is all about dividing and transplanting for me. I also have some new beds to fill, so I've been running around trying to find certain perennials. Nobody really has much yet, much to my dismay.
    What I need is a good 2 days, by myself, in the garden, to get things done. Unfortunately, I'm stuck working with small allotments of time due to that pesky thing called LIFE.
    Still, Spring is a great time, and I really don't have much to complain about.

• HotHouseHen
    19 years ago

When precious time allows, I have been fertilizing, composting, planting seeds, annuals, potting up seedlings, cleaning out beds, expanding my yard, planning, working on stone paths, and doing alot of research on plants. I can't wait until the end of May so I can have all day to work out in my yard and enjoy the garden that is finally coming together this year instead of looking like such a continuous project. Being a teacher has it's advantages, and summer is it! But for now, I am enjoying the excitement of new plants poking their heads out of the ground and trying to remember what I planted where. LOL I've started a garden journal this year, but really need to get my pen busy again.
    Delana

• bojo96
    19 years ago

I'm waiting for a rose to bud and bloom so I can get it ID'd...and wait is a nasty 4 letter word.
    I'm also realizing there's more to gardening than putting something in the ground and saying...grow little flower grow. This is my first year seriously gardening and I KNOW NOTHING! LOL

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

Well, this weekend it felt like summer rathet than spring! The heat shortened the life of spring flowering bulbs considerably. They bloomed and went away so fast, I cannot keep up.

I have been hauling manure, compost and mulch and spreading them for the past couple weekends. I got rid of my back lawn last weekend too. Went to get more mulch and manure today and spread them around happily.

Life is grand. :-)

• birdwing
    19 years ago

Yesterday, went to the paving rock store bought new york bluestone for patio pavers. Potted sprouts from ziplocs(morning glory and sweetpeas) weeded a little, stared hard at the garden looking for things to come up. Found some turk's cap lillies poking up that I forgot about planting last fall I remember geting some kind of good deal now there are 4 or 5 of 'em...

Today, mixed some peat and manure and leveled out one side of the perennial bed.. moved some big field stones to that edge from different parts of the yard (well, mostly DH did that..BTW he said just now what's DH? dumb husband?)

Moved some hollyhocks and kiss me over the garden gate reseeds to the back of the bed because they're so tall they'd block everything else if they stayed in the middle. Moved a peony that's not been getting enough sun. Planted annual poppies (shirleys and somniferums) planted blue and red flax and some love in a mist...Saw one of those yellow "monarchs"..

Worried about my tea roses that seem to be mostly still asleep(if not goners..) hoping it's still worth holding out hope for them..

basked in the sun a little..(when did i have time ?...)

• dirtdiver
    19 years ago

So did you Chicago-area people actually have the 70s they predicted? It struggled to get above 60 in my yard, but it was still a nice weekend. Went and played in my community plot Saturday until I was sore. At home did some weeding, wandering, potting up and shifting of seedlings from one semi-shady spot to another as the sun moved. Trying to find places to shoehorn in what I've already started.

• kenpaul
    19 years ago

we pruned our lica bushes. (big job)

put in new sod in the back yard.

painted the fence with a water sealer.

i started planning for a small water fall

basic cleaning and bagging of dead plant stuff

• UKtransplant
    19 years ago

This year we are "attempting" to landscape what we call the inner yard. 20 Climbing roses and 20 Clematis. The funding for this year has run out so its all home grown from seeds from now on.

The Clematis are going crazy in the greenhouse and I am *hoping* after this weekend it will remain warm enough to plant them and then they will wend their way in among the roses.

To the West of the house we recently installed a Deck I did wonder if anyone had any ideas for making/installing plant boxes on or around the deck?

Thanks in advance

• ademink
    19 years ago

I'm on the Irvington garden tour again this year (historical Indianapolis neighborhood annual tour) so I'll be prepping for that until June. I'll have to see if anything died, fill in w/ plants, etc. Last year we completed a pool to pond conversion so I'm feeling more low-key this year! lol

I do want to landscape the back alley so it's more pleasant to look at, however.

• ceresone
    19 years ago

yes, its spring--and yes, its now may. what am i doing? going out every night about dark, covering up all my planters on the deck, and carrying in over 50 pots of "tenders" waiting to be set out in the garden. getting doggone tiresome, but havent lost anything yet. its now tuesday, the second of may--and weatherman predicting frost for the next 3 nights. could be worse, same weatherman says its snowing in texas this morning.

• Midwestgirl483
    19 years ago

I think we are all pushing for spring to really get here. It has been quite chilly the last week here...May now that May has arrived. Warmer weather is not far behind.

• jasper_60103
    19 years ago

Feels more like winter here in the twin cities (Minnesota). Saturday wasn't bad though. I dug-up a 12'x17' section of sod and relocated it to another area of my backyard. Getting ready to start building my screen porch this week, yeh!
    -jasper

• kec01
    19 years ago

Spring is here and I'll most likely be bringing the flats of annuals, coleus and basil in for the night....again. Yesterday, however, in the chilly, dreariness of Chicago's weather, I transplanted and split some hostas, yanked out another grocery bag full of dandelions that the previous owner left us, and filled 1/2 a bag with creeping charlie. My steaming mushroom compost, turned into the earth last weekend, is doing it's thing and I'll be planting this coming weekend...after I get back from some MN Plant sales. I can't wait!