Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about dwarf burning bush

Posted by shorty68 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 12:50

I want to plant bushes on the side of the house which has a western exposure. I live in zone 5. I would prefer something which does not require much watering nor pruning. Would dwarf burning bush work? What other bushes would work well which require not much maintenance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about dwarf burning bush

Pretty much all bushes will require manintenance until they are established. After the first year you will be free and clear.
I would choose a bush that at least flowers. That said my neighbor has burning bushes at the side of his house and they do very well. But a dwarf lilac might work. Not a bush but a clematis always works at the side of the house, at least for me. A climbing hydrangea might work well or a viburnun. All the above will stand a few hours of shade.
Hope this helps.

o
RE: question about dwarf burning bush

Euonymus alata will need a lot of pruning. When we moved into this house, there were 3 on the N side. Under those 3 were thousands of tiny Euonymus alata. It gets berries on it. I shudder to think how many of our neighbors, far and wide, have because of those plants on the side of our house! We've gotten 3 Morus alba (white mulberry) trees so far and we've only lived in this house for 6 yrs!! I also pulled up a small Berberis thunbergii (Japanese barberry) from the S side of our house. I know neighbors up the street, to our N, have them. Birds again. We're also dealing with indian strawberries, I don't know the Latin name. I'm sure again, compliments of the birds.

Virginia Sweetspire (Itea virginica) would be a better choice than the Euonymus alata. 'Henry's Garnet' is a cultivar with reddish purple fall color. It's size is listed at 3' tall by 4' wide. Or any of the smaller viburnums would work too! :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here