Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ranchreno_gw

Non fruit bearing flowering tree recommendations

ranchreno
17 years ago

Hello!

I am new to this forum having been focused on building and decorating our new home in the past year. Now we're on to the exterior and I'm even more clueless than I am inside the house!

We need to replace a beautiful flowering tree (think it was a Dogwood) on the corner of our property that didn't make it through the construction process for some reason.

I'd like to ideally purchase something that is already a good 10' in height if possible. We're not very patient ;-) and looking for something that produces flowers for at least part of the spring/summer, but does not bear any fruit. The area gets full sun pretty much all day with some shade in the morning.

I appreciate your suggestions. We are completely clueless and are using a landscaping company to help us make some decisions. But would appreciate your collective knowledge and opinions as well.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• pondwelr
    16 years ago

Serviceberry will do well. they get beautiful blooms, and a ton of fruit. I know you want non-fruiting, but honestly, I have 4 serviceberry on my city property, and have never gotten one single fruit off of any. The birds sit in the tree and wait for each berry to turn reddish enough to eat. I'm not kidding either. Zip, Nada, NO fruits ever survive. It may be too small for your taste tho. I also have a non-fruiting crab apple called Spring Snow. There are many crab apple to suit you. Simply tell the nursery what you want. Also look at 'tree lilac', or even replace with another dogwood.
    Pondy

• led_zep_rules
    16 years ago

I would recommend a redbud tree. They are SO beautiful, and no fruit to pick up. With the serviceberry, though, the fruits are small and indeed eaten by birds so those work well, too, although they aren't as pretty. How big do you want the tree to grow to in the end? Lilacs get pretty big and are almost tree size eventually. We have a magnolia tree that has gorgeous blooms in the spring, I am in SE WI, so it is something hardy up here.

I've had flowering crab, also gorgeous, if you can find one that doesn't have fruit somehow. I would say off the top of my head that the landscaping company might rip you off, probably cheaper to just find a local nursery and pay them to plant the tree than have a middleman.

Marcia

• diggerb2
    16 years ago

the serviceberry tree would be a good idea-- unless you put a net over the tree to keep birds out you won't ever see any fruit. they are beautiful in bloom. they aren't too expensive even as large trees-- you definitely can get the size you are seeking or larger-- let the nursery plant it for you. you can get single or multiple stem specimens. some can get as big as 30 feet tall.

go to your local library and check out books on ornamental trees and select something you like.

go to an independent nursery to get your plant rather than to a bigbox store and let them plant it-- usually they will guarantee replacement.

• ranchreno
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I finally made it out to a nursery so actually know what these trees look like. They're all good suggestions. Will probably go redbud or a newer type crabapple that the garden center swears does not have the mess of the old versions.

I am also looking at a serviceberry or rose of sharon for the corner of my foundation bed. Anyone have a specific type to recommend? I'd like a mature height between 8 and 15' and not too wide a spread. Maybe 8' max.

Thanks again!

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Ranch, I don't know the types, but I've two ROS's..one is white w/pink center and the other has purple flowers..
    The white w/pink was started from a cutting..it grows semi-tree-like. It's about 12' tall..I've pruned in the past, but can no longer reach the top..
    The purple was bought at Home Depot..It's only 3-4' tall..
    I've never seen Serviceberry so can't help there..Toni