Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natureperson_gw

Is Papillion, NE in zone 4b or 5a?

natureperson
19 years ago

It looks like it might be 4b, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what the hardiness zone is for this city?

TIA.

Comments (4)

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

I'm going to answer your question by not answering! The answer might be, that depends.

I live in an area that is on the edge of zones, so I was asking the same thing myself. What I finally realized was, at that point, even if the map did say I was one thing, the actual micro-climate in my yard might be something else. So, I started to compare temps with what the weather-forecaster said my area was, and found that my minimum temperatureas are usually two degrees colder than what is recorded for my area on that day. Makes sense to me, as my house sits down in a bit of a low spot.

Since making that observation, I have been making my plant purchases based on the colder zone, and have had fewer losses. I also protect my plants from freeze a bit sooner in the fall, later in the spring. That has worked well.

You might find your experience is the opposite, maybe you are warmer than the surrounding area. Keeping track of you minimum temperature is the best way to figure it out. So, you might need to get up at 5 AM on a few winter mornings to determine the minimum temps. Compare your temps against that of the local weather forecast as well. Helps to know when the forecast is getting near frost temps, that it might be time to get the tomato blankets out!

By the way, Papillion is beautiful! We lived in Columbus for a few years ourselves. I miss the wide open spaces, and you have the best sunsets!! There was a little farmhouse in Papillion that I just adored. Go Huskers!!

• virakech
    19 years ago

wow, a small world. I live in Columbus now, but lived in LaVista NE and my first son was born in the hospital at Papillion just 25 years ago.
    I saw the Papillion NE in this thread and had to poke my head in and say HI.

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

Oh, I miss Columbus!! We lived on 42nd Ave. What a great town!!

• natureperson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your responses, and I apologize for taking so long to respond.

My sister is the one who lives in Papillion, and she just bought a new home and has been asking me for some gardening advice. I grew up there but have been away from there for a long time but love going back there to see family whenever I can. I graduated from Papillion High School about 30 years ago. Small world, virakech!