Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Plant or Hold Off?

birdsnblooms
12 years ago

Hello...Hope someone has an answer, which I needed yesterday. :)

I placed an order for a couple perennial/bushes and bulbs, assuming the order would be shipped at a later date. No such luck, it came yesterday, Saturday, Apr 14, 2012.

I'm in z5..IL, about 25 miles sw of Chicago. I believe planting season is May 15th.

Plants and bulbs: Variegated Mock Orange, Variegated Thumbergia, Allium 'Ornamental Onion, and 4 Crown Imperial Frittillarias.

Temps have been in the 70's during the day, 40F nights.

Should I risk planting bulbs and plants now, or wait?

If waiting is necessary, where should I store until it's time to plant?

In dark or light, cool or warm? If they're kept in the garage, I fear mice will get them. Thanks, Toni

Comments (5)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Is the mock orange a Philadelphus?

Are the bulbs still dormant?

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Purple!!!

The Mock Orange is Philadelphus X Lemoenei 'Innocence' variegata. Hardy to z 4-8. Deciduous.

No, bulbs are out of dormany, have new growth. Yesterday, Apr 17, 2012 I planted them in the ground. Couldn't wait any longer for fear they'd die. Toni

12 years ago

Toni, I would have done the same thing with sprouting bulbs.

I had a Philadelphus in OH that had no smell and I was so irritated because by the time it finally flowered about 11 months after I planted it, it was too big for me to want to dig it up. I'm glad you like the foliage on yours. Mine was a plain boring green entity I ended up not liking at all. Being hardy to zone 4 it should be able to handle whatever is happening outside at your house.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Purple,

I know what you mean about plain green. I want more color in the garden.
    The only way to find variegated plants are by ordering online.
    Very seldom do local nurseries sell variegated plants.

So, what happened to your Mock Orange? You talk about it in the past tense. It's no longer?
    It had NO fragrance? That's terrible. Are you certain it was Mock ORange?
    I used to order from a nursery in IL. You never knew what you'd get.

3 bushes that came from this nursery, and still alive, Burning Bush, Hardy Hydrangea and a Red Dogwood Bush, 'not tree.'
    They were planted in the 90's, still around, but not one is the plant I ordered..lol.

I wish the Mock was a little larger. It arrived in a 4" pot. Temps are 43F. Colder than Feb..Sheesh!

Thanks for replying, Purple. I really appreciate it. Toni

PS: Forgot to mention. I also bought Daliah corms from Walmart. I totally forgot about them until yesterday. I don't know if they're dormant or not..they've been in the house, maybe too warm? about a week.

Again, I don't know if they should go in the ground now or wait till temps are warmer. The package says to plant when ground is 50F degrees.

Wonder how they'd do in containers? Ever try it?

12 years ago

Toni, I'm sure it was a Philadelphus. I realized after I bought it that not all of them have fragrant flowers. I should have done more research first, but I just didn't know. I speak of it in the past tense because it was in my yard in OH.

I feel bad for everyone north of me tonight. I don't know what you'll get but it's supposed to be 38 here tonight. Saw it was snowing up in PA this morning on the news. Freaky!

I bought Dahlia corms last year, too, either at WM or L's. Those pics on the packages are hard to resist, aren't they? I put 2 in pots, and 1 in the ground. The potted ones were pitiful, and thankfully there were other things growing in the pots. The one in the ground made about 3 beautiful flowers in late summer but (my fault) they were lost in a tangle of morning glories. One of the potted ones and the one in the ground are growing new leaves. They're not supposed to survive, so I'm thrilled. Unless yours are sprouting yet, I would wait. Mine started growing about the same time as the Caladiums - about 10 days ago. Except last night & tonight, it's been in the low 80's most days and 60's at night here for over a month. Based on this limited experience with them, I would never devote valuable container space to ONLY Dahlias. If you have something reliably pretty like coleus or sweet potato vinem maybe some little moss roses... to make sure the pot looks pretty while waiting for those few Dahlia flowers, then I might say go for it.