Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
genebelor

Thuja Green Giant life expectancy

genebelor
18 years ago

Hi,

I am thinking about planting 20-25 of Green Giants to create a privacy wall by the 100 feet of the old rusting fence. I have read about them growing very fast and requiring very low to no maintenance.

The question is what is their life expectancy? I thought the general rule was if a plant grows fast, it does not last?

Thanks!

Gene.

Comments (14)

• lannegreenelag
    18 years ago

Sorry I don't know how long they live. I am sure that depends on such factors as sun, water and soil quality. You are right asking on these boards though because I have found web sources and even nurseries have no idea. Better to talk to someone who has them in your area.

I am looking to buy some Green Giants myself but haven't found them in local nurseries. I guess I need to find a good internet nursery and order them.

• hamstewart_aol_com
    18 years ago

Hi Gene, I bought one Thuja with hopes of buying a doz. more. The one I have is such a disapointment. has grown about one foot and yes the deer will eat it. I am a master gardener and it did get the best of care. maybe someone else had better luck, I sure didn't.

• sueinillinois
    18 years ago

I purchased 18 of them last Spring (2005)and they did well. But now this Spring (2006) they are brown and I don't know if they'll come back. I think the Winter may have been a bit rough on them. I'm in the Northern Illinois area and we can get some pretty frigid temperatures. Good luck if you try growing them.

• hamstewart_aol_com
    17 years ago

Hi Sue, I would be interested to know how much growth your thuja puts on in a yr. Mine averages approx. 1 ft. a year, not 3 ft. as advertised. Keep us posted. thanks

• sueinillinois
    17 years ago

So Far, about half of my 18 trees are greening up. To me that seems like a miracle. I thought for sure as brown as they were that they were gonners!
    To Sissyz: that's a great idea to plant a hedge that contain variety and differing textures. I may just do that if some of the brown thujas don't brown up. It seems like a lot of people like the thujas for the quick screening promise, as I did. Though, not much of a screen when they're brown and not growing well.
    To Hamstewart: My Thujas probably grew close to 10" last summer (2005) even when our area experienced drought. I watered them faithfully every week during the drought.

• plantman314
    17 years ago

About four years ago I sold almost 100 Green Giants to the Missouri Botanical Gardens. They have had no problem, and they seem to have a very high servivability at residential properties, even when dealing with heavy clay soils.

• genebelor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just a quick update: I planted 20 1 gallon sized GGs (18"-24") from Greenwood Nursery in the first week of June.

After being in the ground for almost 3 months, I see a growth of 2" - 3". I also notice that the plants are a lot healthier and greener now. I have been watering the plants twice a day using a soaker hose and planning on switching the watering schedule to once a day.

Gene.

• gerryp
    16 years ago

genebelor, you said that you water 2 times a day. I was doing the same thing until I read that that might be a bit much. I live in the Hampton Roads area of VA. Should I water that much? We have been getting a bunch of rain lately, so I stopped watering all together. They have been planted since mid March, so I would think they are established. I have very little experiance with planting, so all advice on these GG is appreciated.
    Thanks!

• wvagas_aol_com
    16 years ago

I planted 8 that were about 6 feet tall they are now about 10 feet tall grew 4 feet in one year. Yes the deer will eat them if they are in the path they travel they will not seek them out. If they eat them other than winter I would suggest getting a Scarecrow (brand name) which is a motion sensored water sprinkler. The deer will not come near them I have them protecting my trees and flowers (my neighbor feeds the deer)and have suffered no plant damage...

Good Luck,

Bill

PS my trees also stated out brown in the spring... now all green

• jim61
    16 years ago

Hi all, Follow planting instructions and keep weeds and grass 2-3 ft away in all directions from Thuja Green Giant trees. Weeds and grass rob the tree, thus, slowing down it's growth rate.
    Never let the trees dry out. This also slows growth. Water for a few years after planting until they become well established.
    If you plant many trees, use a drip line or soaker hose for best results.
    Extremely high temps in your area slows growth, as does Temps below 45 degrees.
    Green giants do brown a bit during the winter months, but, green back up in spring.

• lwc1
    14 years ago

Hi all I put in 6 green giants last year they were about 5 ft. so far they have'nt grown any but at least they made it through the winter. My question is what should I feed them, I read use a slow release fertiliser anyone know what would be good and how much. lThanks

• PRO
    Carolina Moncion Design
    4 years ago

I know this is an old thread yet here is an answer: Green Giant Thuja can last anywhere from 49-150 years. I’ve planted quite a few and am in the process of planting 20. A drip soaker of 2 gallons per hour around the diameter of their canopy is best. Some species are prone to disease. Most are deer resistant. I would do my research and know what works best for the zone they are going in. Also knowing they need to be watered twice a day for establishment or In hot climates. Once established, you could cut watering back to once every few days in cooler climates. It is not recommended to apply lawn fertilizer to these trees and you should apply a slow release fertilizer for trees in minimal amounts due to their nutrient uptake. Browning of leaves indicate a possible blight and you should obtain a copper-based fungicide to treat the disease with. Soaking the foliage with the fungicide is also recommended. Never leave the fallen foliage or clippings at the tree’s base as it could cause problems. Never put mulch up to the trunk as it could also cause problems. Your success is based on the soil and condition of the area, your watering schedule, and your care.

I prefer disease resistant thuja because blight is prolific here. That information should be displayed on the labels. If not, please take the time to search for this important info online prior to investing. Best of luck!

• Cynthia Aguiar
    3 years ago

vannetti@hotmail.com

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio