Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katee3

replenishing mulch

katee3
19 years ago

Okay, this may seem like a silly question but, am I the only one that seems to need to replenish mulch every year? I have some large beds that are mulched and every spring after cleaning out the leaves and debris, there is hardly any mulch left. It is getting to be a costly hobby! Is there a way I can get leaves, etc off the mulch without scooping half the mulch up? thanks!

Comments (6)

• lindac
    19 years ago

Leave the leaves on the beds....and add more mulch on top.
    After all isn't the goal more organic matter in the soil?
    Linda C

• smom40
    19 years ago

I agree with that. Remove the big twiggy stuff and just put the mulch on top. I never remove anything but the big stuff myself and only 'add' to the mulch as it breaks down over time.

I do mulch a lot during the year, but that's because it a) keeps down weeds and I hate weeding, and b) it holds moisture during the hot summer months.

You might also want to examine what kind of mulch that you're using. Some places will give you a discount if you buy by the truckload..and it doesn't have to be the double cut mulch that your neighbors use, kwim? Or maybe for the front but not the back?

In beds that have just large shrubs and not many assorted perennials, you might also consider a 'nugget' sort of mulch as opposed to the tiny stuff. You don't have to spread as much, it's much thicker, and back where I used to live, MUCH cheaper than some of the speciality mulches.

You can also consider spreading groundcover plants in some areas...

• Carol_Ann
    19 years ago

To directly answer your question, I don't know of any way to get leaves up without getting mulch, too, except to hand pick them up, which is incredibly tedious and, in your case, from the sounds of the size of your beds, not very feasible.

I'm with the others -- just add fresh mulch on top. Even if you don't inadvertently rake mulch up when you clean, some of it will decompose (and in some areas, it blows away, too). The most I was ever able to go without freshening was 2 years.

I use mulch and compost but tend to plant so when mature my plants will be covering up most of the ground -- saves on mulch and I like the look.

I like the groundcover idea mentioned and agree that using large bark will slow down the loss. Another option, if you have beds that you don't want groundcover in or where the plants will always be widely spaced, is to consider another kind of mulch besides bark. For example, is stone possible? Some of it looks really nice and although it wouldn't be cheap initially, it sounds like it might save you money and time in the long run. Of course you'd still have to clean it up but it's easier to lightly rake over stone and not pull it up.

Good luck, and happy gardening!

• seduxion
    19 years ago

I found the leaf blower/vaccuum combo to be the best. I use the bag attachment and such up the leaves. The suction isn't too great to pull up the mulch but works perfectly on dry leaves. Don't attempt after a rain because the leaves will be too heavy and compacted by the rain. Wait a few days for them to dry out and suck them up. I did this just last night and it is so much better than raking the leaves out of my mulch. I haven't mulched for 2 years and this spring I am getting a truck load from the dump for $5. Our landfill offers free mulch if you load it or $5 if they dump it with the huge loader. It's well worth the $5 to not have to move it twice ;)

• pondwelr
    19 years ago

Hi Katee3. To answer your question...Everyone who mulches, mulches most years. In my area, a delivery of two square yards of mulch is less than $30. Thats a pretty reasonable amount to gain a weed free garden and enrich the bed at the same time.
    When I first started, I had to mulch twice a year. Once you build up a bed of mulch, just refreshing it once a year works well.
    Some years, I just forked the old and rotting mulch lightly into the topsoil, then added new stuff.
    Even tho you see the mulch disappearing, and think that this is a waste, it truly is NOT. Every layer repays you in the long run. All those pricey plants and shrubs will live and thrive while you build up your soil.

• katee3
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for all your advice. I am trying to plant some ground covers and perrenials so that over time the area wont be so large to mulch. For now I guess I will go and order another batch of mulch!