Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fall-planted shrub.. is it dead?

Posted by motria z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 18:30

The clethra I planted in fall '05 shows no sign of life. The ninebark and purple sand cherry are leafing out, not to mention the late-emerging perennials (balloon flower, baptisia, etc.) are sending up shoots. The clethra has no leaf buds, but I should note that the twigs are not brittle and they are green on the inside. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fall-planted shrub.. is it dead?

Clethra can be really slow to leaf out in the spring. I think mine were not fully leafed until about the middle of May last year (Minneapolis). If the stems are flexible and still green I wouldn't give up on it yet.

o

Thank you ginkgonut. I watered it a bit and resisted the temptation to dig around the roots for a peek. Fingers crossed.

o

Second year for mine and I am just starting to see some life. First year I thought mine was dead also. I cut a low growing branch to see if it was green and sure enought it was alive but it is very slow to wake up. Be patient!

o

Mine *just* started to leaf out also. First year I had it so I thought it was dead too. I broke a tiny twig, saw green and apologized to it. LOL

o

• Posted by motria z5 Chicago (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 20:53

Okay, it's officially a false alarm! Today I found the tiniest of leaf buds. It's really amazing how tall some plants are getting while the clethra sleeps. Thank you for the reassurances, everyone.

o

YAY! Admit it, you almost did a happy-dance. LOL ;)

o

• Posted by motria z5 Chicago (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 23:25

Oh, yes, there was some dancing here. :-p

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here