Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasper_60103

Cattails, keeping them under control

jasper_60103
19 years ago

I have a small retention pond in my backyard. Problem is the Cattails are growing thick around the edges. I would like to learn an effective means (chemical or otherwise) to keep them in check. I know wildlife lives in them. I noticed red-winged black birds living in mine. So I wouldn't want to destroy all of them, just thin it out a bit. Also, they look pretty in the winter against the snow, but they surround the entire pond, extend out about 10' or so from the edge. I just don't want them to completely take over the pond.

I apologize if this isn't the right forum to ask such a question, but any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

jasper

Comments (5)

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

I'd be very wary of using anything chemical. There is no way you could keep it from getting into the whole pond. (Folks will say RU with a glove, but then the plant decays...) Amphibians are extrememly sensitive to chemicals.

If it were me, I'd probably get a good sturdy pair of fishing waders, and make a regular event go going out and harvesting some of the cat-tails. I'd also plant other native water plants, such as blue flag iris, to help hold the space against the cat-tails.

And, I suspect, you might need to have the pond 'dredged' every so often, or all the decaying cattails will eventually turn the pond into a marsh or swamp. Sara Stein's books have some useful layman's terms discussion of ponds. Look for Noah's Garden, and Planting Noah's Garden.

Just another homeowner, who appreciates wildlife.

• jasper_60103
    Original Author
    19 years ago

yeah, I can appreciate some cattails and plan to keep some. Unfortionately, this is not my own private pond. Neighboring properties boarder the pond as well, but I would be interested in some type of annual mainteneance program. Some of my neighbors just hacked theirs down completely, and let them lay there.

I have not been in this house a year yet, but I noticed last summer the marshy green at one point, then it cleared up. I don't like this and will research for a remedy.

For now, I'm headed over to Mills Fleet to get those hip boots you mentioned.
    thanks,

jasper

• SusanWIN
    19 years ago

Hallelujah, someone else has this problem too! If I were you, I would be wary of trying to "keep" some of them. My lakefront was cleared by me soon after I moved in. I was about 20 years younger than now. Took a sharp shovel and dug down as deeply as I could. It took me awhile, but got it done. Didn't have a problem after that until new neighbors moved next door and when one of those cattail bogs blew in (nature's way) I suggested they move it out somewhere else on the lake in an area where the cattails had established themselves and formed wetlands. They thought that nice little bog (about 4foot wide) would be nice to have at their shoreline so it would attract the wildlife. All well and good, except now, four years later, that little 4 foot bog has grown to well over 100 feet and has grown back over to where I cleared my area. It will be difficult getting my pontoon boat docked at the pier. I've looked on the internet for suggestions how to control them and the only thing I can find with not using chemicals is the possibility of using a dark, large, heavy-duty tarp and weight it down so the sun does not reach the roots and allow the dang things to grow...or at least stunting them. Your county extention agent will be able to help you, I believe. Goodluck....from someone who knows how it is.

• modbass
    18 years ago

are cattails like bamboo where if you dig down 3-4 feet and run some sort or border you can contain it? i know it wroks with bamboo. hoping it does with cattails i am redoing my grandmas pond this fall and am hoping to plant just a few after putting in a barrier.

• webkat5
    18 years ago

I don't know how large your pond is, but grass carp are one way to keep excess vegetation from growing. They are sterile and must be replaced periodically, but work well. Many fisheries sell them and would be able to tell you more about them.