Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadowbrite

Southern Magnolia in Chicago???

meadowbrite
18 years ago

I just ordered Southern Magnolia 'Edith Bogue' (zone 5 according to waysidegardens.com) and will try to grow it in zone 5. I can't say enough how much I want this plant in my garden, at least for its large evergreen leaves. I planted one in zone 6/NJ and it has grown to a huge tree. When I was buying it, I was told it wouldn't survive. Well, I want to be proven wrong again. The closest to Chicago, I have seen Southern Magnolia in St. Louis. I have heard of someone growing succesfully that tree in the Chicago's western suburbs.

Other plants I miss are aucuba japonica and blue hollies. If you have success with those or other above-zone 5 plants in zone 5 (or colder) please let me know. Oh, just to add, I have been growing successfuly Pampass Grass 'Pumila', part of it dies every winter, but each year I get more and more flowers and the plants gets bigger every year.

Kris

Comments (57)

• meadowbrite
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great replies.
    I finally got my S. Magnolia a week ago. I expected a tree form, but they shipped pruned shrub, quite large for a mail order. I will plant it in a semi-shady area but it's protected from the winter sun and somewhat from the winds. I live by the lake and I get some viscious winds in winter (and throughout the season as most Chicago area does). I love its huge waxy leaves, wish me luck guys with it.

As for Pampass Grass, my 'Pumila' though I covered it as usual this winter, it seems to have only one blade that survived, it's growing but most of the clump (sizable by now) has died/rotted. I think it's not the cold as much as the wet environment that kills it. I planted it in dry area, neve water it and it still gets too much water in winter. Oh well. Either me moving to a warmer clime or the Pumila will have to just go :-)

Toni, where do you live in IL? Just wondered if you're far from Chicago for growing the Pampass Grass. I've seen it in southern IL growing quite well.

Thanks,
    Kris

• doniki
    18 years ago

I wanted to bring update this thread and ask a question if possible. As I stated earlier I planted (2) 5ft BBB's last summer. They completely defoliated last winter with about 1ft of dieback. They refoliated by June, but little by little the leaves on various branches are continuing to wilt, and then the entire branch dies. I really like the BBB's but they are shrinking this summer not growing... I made the mistake of not giving them any winter protection last year- thinking they would be as hardy as Edith Bogue, which I've never had any problem with burning or dieback. Maybe I should scrap these two and start with two large ones and wrap them and wilt pruf them for the winter. These two really don't look healthy... The leaves are even small and no blooms... Any suggestions...

• meadowbrite
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't have any suggestions, I can just give my observations, which I don't thik will help, LOL.

Each time I'm in the south, I admire the southern magnolias. It seems they thrive in just any place or soil, from really dry and hot full-sun exposure to shaded and moist areas. In the city environment, in DC, I see those trees (can't recognize the varieties, but all have huge waxy leaves) grow in tiny gardens, mostly shade/dappled shade and they thrive like locust. I have seen them trimmed as topiaries, hedges, or just allowed to grow as they may. So my guess is that they're quite tolerant of different environment once well established.

I have planted Edith Bogue in the NW burbs of Chicago, it's in dappled shade, I water it (like everything in our dry summer this year) and it seems to grow extremely well, branching and growing new large healthy leaves. I thing the young plants like moist and humid area, just like any evergreen with large leaves so they don't lose much water through the foliage.

Of course my magnolia is too young too bloom, but just the nice waxy foliage is rewarding. I just hope it makes it through the winter. I may put some winter protection, but definetely I'll put the descicant (spel.) twice in winter.

Thanks for writing,
    Kris

• smrgardner
    18 years ago

I would like to try a Southern Magnolia here in Valparaiso. I'm growing Agapanthus here in Michigan and they come back every year. Had them for over 10 years. I have white and purple and now I'm looking for different varities. Confusing because I mention both places. I live in Valpo, but have a summer home in South Haven, Michigan.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Kris, I live in Brookfield..sw of Chicago..I don't cut back in winter, but keep flower stems for birds..they eat the seed or something because I see many birds nibbling away..then in spring, I cut back, and new growth forms..The first yr I planted PG I added mulch in fall, but since let it go..Toni

• doniki
    18 years ago

I took the plunge, and moved the two BBB (or what was left of them) to a "rehab" spot in the garden, against my neighbor's house- he doesn't care what I do. I went ahead and bought two large 8ft. Edith Bogue's in their place. I thought I should stick with what grows the best here. I'm just really dissapointed because everything I read stated that BBB were as hardy as Edith Bogue. I noticed a nursery selling DD Blanchard's. They too have the great "fuzzy-brown" underside. Does anyone have experience with DD Blanchard? I've read about other "Cold-hardy" cultivars of magnolia grandiflora, such as "24 below" and "Poconos", but where does one find these???

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Kris, do you mind if I ask where your purchased your Southern Mag? Also, this is the one w/white flowers, right? Waxy feeling, and beautiful? LOL..LMK..thanks, Toni

• gardenberry
    18 years ago

There are three southern Magnolias at Chicago Botanic Garden. In a location where they are protected from winter winds, they survive but sometimes lose their leaves. They also suffer from the non-acidic clay soils. Good luck!

• Oswegian
    18 years ago

When we lived in Richmond, VA, I was told that the northern range for southern magnolia was Washington, D.C. There are lots of southern magnolias in Richmond; when I worked in the financial district downtown, I used to pass by them on the grounds of the state capitol, which I think was designed by Thomas Jefferson. What a picturesque site, was neo-classical architecture surrounded by southern magnolia and boxwood.

So, are you all really talking about the southern magnolia with the platter-sized creamy-white blossoms? The one with the astringent scent? I don't remember seeing any of those around Chicagoland, but I wouldn't mind seeing them again, LOL.

• doniki
    18 years ago

Oswegian-
    Yep, we are talking about the Southern aristocrat, "Scarlett O'Hara" magnolia. If a hardy form is used, it is often successfully grown as far north as Zone 5 with some protection... There are some fairly large specimens in Charleston WV, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati- among other cities on the zone 5/6 border. Many of these plants have been through -20F and lower and represent the "Cold Hardy" varieties that are being sold today, such as "Edith Bogue," and "Bracken's Brown Beauty." They often do not attain the massive sized trees you'd see in the South, but they do prosper and bloom, provided they are given sufficient heat. It would be great to see more nurseries on the border of zones 5 and 6 try these hardier varieties. It would certainly help break of the monotony of plant materials used.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

I forgot about a neighbor who lives 5 blocks from me..She was an eldery woman, in her late 70's early 80's.."She passed away 3 yrs ago..
    Once summer while walking my dog, I saw this tree in front of her house..it was about 15' tall. I asked what it was an she said a Southern Mag..The next spring I went back there and sure enough, it was a Souther Mag. Big, white, waxy fragrant flowers..After she passed away, new ppl moved in, and since the tree hasn't been the same..but the point is, it's not impossible growing them here in IL..Toni

• abercrombie4me03
    18 years ago

Yes we have southern magnolia's every where here in tennessee and they are really hardy I would give it a try we have some here all over nashville that are like 90 feet tall 200 years old so im sure they have been threw some pretty cold weather threw the civil war era and stuff but the thing is about tennessee or the south for that matter its not constantly freezing jan is the coldest month yes but it drops down into the single digits once in a while and thats about it it doesnt stay that way but im sure if you get a strong southern magnolia it can endure some extreme cold haha we actually have one in are back yard its a hassle cause they loose there leafs in the spring and fall so the rake is always set by the fence ready but its not to have a tree that is green year round cause winter can be a depressing time of year so Its a possibilty

• chitown033
    18 years ago

I have a small Southern Mag that I will be planting next spring. It should hopefully do well, but we will see...

Kyle

• meadowbrite
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I finally have a picture of my Southern Magnolia 'Edith Bogue'. Follow the link below.
    Again, I'm trying it out in the Chicago burbs/zone 5.

If the link doesn't work, try this:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/khanusiak

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Magnolia Picture

• chitown033
    18 years ago

Very nice mag. Mine is somewhat similar to that size... But it's going in the ground in the spring...

ps- I love Chicago's Phoenix palm!

Kyle

• doniki
    18 years ago

After walking around the yard today- finally warmed up to the 40's- I was noticing that Bracken's and a newly planted Little Gem are totally winterburned after one night at 5F and a few between 7-10F.... Though we have had continuous temps below freezing... No damage on two newly planted Edith Bogues though.. completely green- as is the older one I have.... Just an observation... I was just wondering how everyone's Southern Magnolias were looking so far this winter...

• bed24_cornell_edu
    18 years ago

There is an Edith Bogue that has been growing for several years in the Plant Sciences Building courtyard on the Cornell University campus in Ithaca, New York. Last winter temps got down to about -20 two nights in a row and it survived unharmed. This is a protected spot, so I'm guessing it wasn't -20 in the courtyard, but it was certainly well below zero.

EB certainly seems hardy, although the form is a bit open and leggy. I prefer the look of BBB but have no experience with its hardiness. There is also Albizia julibrissin (Mimosa Tree) growing in that same courtyard, and have seen some Ilex opaca (don't know the cultivar) growing in somebody's yard in town. I think that microclimate is really the key to success.

• iowapalmz5
    17 years ago

Just wondering how eveyones Southern Mags are doing. It's been awhile since the last post and I was wondering how eveyones mags came back after last winter, especially those up here in IL IN and OH. I live on the IA/IL border and have two Southern Magnolias from last year and one Brackens that I bought over the summer. The two Southern Magnolias completely defoiliated after last years lows of -10 but came back and grew much larger over the summer. So far this winter, no damage to any of them.

• ferrous
    17 years ago

Hello, I'm Meadowbrite, but forgot my password so I created a new username, now under "Ferrous"

So, my Southern Magnolia is still surviving, even though we had some cold days here in NW Chicago, dipping down to -10F. The plant is covered with snow, frozen, I will see once it thaws if it makes it alright. My hunch is it may lose a few leaves but it'll be fine.

How is everyone doing?

IowaPalmz5, is that palm in your picture overwintered outside? It looks very nice and it's huge, it must be a chore to bring it indoors.

Kris

• iowapalmz5
    17 years ago

Kris,
    Actually that palm stays in the ground I wrpa it with insulation and small x-mas lights. Second winter in the ground. Just checked it yesterday and its still green underneath the wrap.

Jay

• liza_jaramillo
    17 years ago

Hey Jay this is mike. Ill be coming out that way in a week or 2. Hope to see your palms then. I might bring one back. Also my Brakens brown beauty seems bullet proof for here in the city. Also I tried regular Southern magnolia and it lost some lower leaves.

• iowapalmz5
    17 years ago

I'll be around so give me a call when you're in town

Jay

• ferrous
    17 years ago

That is awesome... so you keep the lights on all winter? We had some harsh cold temperatures where I live and even my Southern Magnolia got windburnt. I looks fine otherwise, can't imagine wintering the palm here outside.

The palm surely looks impressive,
    Kris

• krazyaroider
    17 years ago

Hello Midwest Gardeners -

I have a Southern Magnolia cultivar that was sent as a mistake due to an order for Magnolia macrophylla. The nursery that sent it was Appalachian Gardens before they went wholesale around 10 years ago. Any one ever order from them?
    I grew the tree in a pot for a couple of years, then I learned about hardy cultivars so I planted it outside. I figured why not (plant it outside) as the nursery is located in Waynesboro, PA near the Poconos. There is a hardy Southern Magnolia cultivar called  PoconosÂ.
    My tree has long, leaves with light green tomentum on the undersides. I have since contacted Appalachian Nursery, to no response to what cultivar it may be...
    I packed it with leaves for the first two winters in the ground, this year I left it on it s own -
    It is completely covered with snow ever since the temps dropped, the tree itself is about 4 feet tall. I am wondering if it is Edith Bogue as the leaves are long, sort of a rectangular shape, with no blossoms since I had it.
    I also have on order from Forest Farm Nursery - 1 ÂEdith Bogue and 1 Bracken s Brown Beauty Southern Magnolia.
    I had a Bracken s Brown Beauty Southern Magnolia from Carroll Gardens. It grew good for two years, then the bottom graft died and the tree slowly declined and died. This tree did bloom - only had 2/3 blossums. I did not know it was grafted until I noticed the top portion (2/3 inches from ground) was larger when it was beyond help. I protected this tree well during the winter.

Thank you
    Gerry
    Hamburg, NY - near Buffalo

• ferrous
    17 years ago

My 'Edith Bogue' seems took some beating this dry cold winter, half of the leaves got brown, lower branches are still fully green (protected by the upper branches), but the plant looks very healthy otherwise. The flowerbuds and leaf buds are nice, plump and green, I am sure it will regrow the leaves. I didn't protect it at all this winter.
    K.

• chasinlex
    17 years ago

Hi Kris, you remind me of myself always wanting to plant things that are from a warmer zone! I live in Lex, KY and the southern magnolias thrive here (as well as hollies). I am also growing pampas "pumila". I cut mine back last weekend and hope I did not do it too soon! Since you are going to be the "southerner" on the block...throw a crape myrtle in the yard as well. Good luck and have fun!!
    Chas

• krazyaroider
    17 years ago

I am going to answer Doniki' s question as I was looking for the same M. grandiflora cultivars...

Doniki's question:
    "I've read about other "Cold-hardy" cultivars of magnolia grandiflora, such as "24 below" and "Poconos", but where does one find these???"
    I found Pocano at Rarefind Nursery and purchased one. I emailed Beaver Creek Nursery in Tennessee and they have two '24 Below' I find the S/H 12.00 plus 5.00 packing fees a pain, plus I read that Edith Bogue and 24 Below are pretty much the same so I am reconsidering finalizing that order.

I posted earlier regarding a Southern Magnolia sent as an order mistake from Appalachian Gardens. I have heard from them and they told me they do not carry Edith Bogue or Pocano. My tree is a seedling from mature trees in the Waynesboro area of PA. That tree is looking good as of now with only snow protection this year (my experiment for hardiness) My tree had a lot of fall and winter rain up to mid January when winter actually came to Buffalo, NY.
    I have also ordered and recieved Edith Bogue and Bracken Brown Beauty from Forest Farm. They are healthy looking trees that are cutting grown - important IMO!
    Gerry
    Hamburg, NY zone 6 - 1 mile from Lake Erie

• ferrous
    17 years ago

Hello.. this is Kris/meadowbrite:

So, my Edith Bogue seems it survived the winter; it took some beating from freezing temeratures this winter (dipping down to -10 a couple of times) and constant dry winds and sun. Most leaves are winter burnt, copper in color, but those on lower branches and on the northern side of the plant are healthy and green. All buds are healthy, swelling, some even seem to be flower buds. I did not use any protection for this plant.

Last year I also propagated a twig from that magnolia, it rooted well (I'm a huge fan of propagating-I propagate most everything). I planted it near the "moma plant" and covered it with the styrofoam cone. It's all green and healthy looking.

A note on other stuff: my Enless Summer did not sustain any frost damage, all buds, including the flower and top buds are healthy, same thing with one of my blue lace hydrangea. I guess the winter was good after all. I'm still waiting if the banana banjsoo survived, I dug it up from under a 6 inch layer of mulch and at first sight it appears like some of the young shoots are firm and green. I am keeping my fingers crossed for that.

I'll try post some new pictures of the Southern Magnolia.

Kris

• redhen689
    16 years ago

Kris, We had an major ice storm and the top of my Edith Bogue snapped off.
    Do you think it would be possible to root any cuttings from branches that broke off?
    How did you do it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ice Damage/Broken Edith Bogue Magnolia

• simon1
    16 years ago

I hope someone has an answer. I've had an Edith Bogue for 3 years and it has always had beautiful leaves and good growth. We planted it in a large whiskey barrel with plans on transplanting it this spring. We have brought it inside each winter into a sunroom with lots of sunlight and it has always thrived.Now suddenly the leaves began to dry out but the bark is normal green. When we noticed the wilting drying leaves that began at the bottom and worked up we watered heavily, thinking the soil had become too dry or worse that roots were bound. The leaves show no sign of disease and are just dry and brittle. I'm afraid we waited too long to transplant. Can anyone tell me what's going on and what to do?

• jlaitar_aol_com
    13 years ago

Hello All

I'm curious to plant a southern magnolia at my house in the suburbs of Chicago. I'm just curious how everyone's magnolias have held up after the past three winters that have been both colder and snowier than normal? Did anyone have them die, or just suffer some dieback? When planting, is the east side for the house best to get some sun, but avoid the winter sun burn?

Thanks

Jeff

• jlaitar
    13 years ago

Hello All
    I'm curious to plant a southern magnolia at my house in the suburbs of Chicago. I'm just curious how everyone's magnolias have held up after the past three winters that have been both colder and snowier than normal? Did anyone have them die, or just suffer some dieback? When planting, is the east side for the house best to get some sun, but avoid the winter sun burn?

Thanks

Jeff

• meadowbrite
    Original Author
    13 years ago

UPDATE TO THE SOUTHERN MAGNOLIA IN CHICAGO

So 5 years later, last winter was unusually mild and my Southern Magnolia is doing very well. The tree is probably now about 8 feet tall, last winter did not loses any leaves, stayed evergreen all winter long. Now it's growing lots of new leaves. I hope it will bloom for the first time.

I am currently away, but when I return to Chicago, I will post some photos for you.

I want to see if anyone else is groing Southern Magnolia in Zone 5.

• shellebelle
    13 years ago

My parents and I saw these magnificent trees last week while we were vacationing in Maryland and Virginia. They wanted to grow these back home in Pittsburgh, PA, but I thought they were too tropical to be grown here up north. Then I come across an article mentioning a rather stately one growing in East Liberty near Pittsburgh, and then I come across this thread about them even growing in Chicago. I am thinking they might be worth a try here now. If my parents can grow a Southern Magnolia, their yard will be the talk of the town!

• ferrous
    13 years ago

I started this post as meadowbrite, but not sure of the login.

Here I wanted to show a photo of my Southern Magnolia 'Edith Bogue'

It's been growing 5 years in the NW burbs of Chicago. Last winter was mild so it didn't lose any leaves, all stayed green through the winter. I did not protect it with anything.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taken August 2010

• wxman81
    12 years ago

Any update on the Chicago Magnolia meadowbright? I planted an 'Edith Bogue' in my yard in April. I live just north of Milwaukee, WI. So far this year it has grown a lot of new leaves and I am excited to see how it does this winter.

{{gwi:332596}}

• ferrous
    12 years ago

Hi wxman, I added a lot of photos of the Edith Bogue on a Facebook page I created: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-Gardens/131171213391

I wanted to send just the album, but I am not sure how.

Yes, they magnolia is doing well... still has not bloomed, but it's getting quite large and no major freeze loss over the winter. I stopped covering the tree as it's pretty large now. I covered it first two winters only.

Your tree looks great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago Gardens Group

• badgerbob
    12 years ago

I live in zone 4, just west of Hartford, Wi. When our daughter died, a family member gave us a magnolia with its only identity being Grandiflora. Having no good place to grow it indoors, I planted it outside with a plan in mind.

We have a 3 foot wide by 5 foot high plastic culvert that I place over the tree. I then pack it full of fallen leaves. I remove the the assemblage in spring, the tree leafs out and blooms in mid summer. Well, it has worked so far but this year I will have to wrap it in burlap to shrink it, fit the culvert over it and then pile in the leaves with the addition of a large trash bag over the top which is now higher than the culvert.

So, does anyone think this magnolia would survive (let's say the winter of 2012) without the protection? We just do not want to lose this tree.

• treebird101
    10 years ago

Very interesting thread. Strangely I went to a poultry breeder in central Iowa to buy some birds and the man had 4 of these growing at his place. In his location you are in zone 4 maybe pushing 5. It was mid winter in January and I noticed some beautiful kind of evergreen trees he had growing and he said they were southern magnolias. He got the trees as seedlings from a friend in Georgia who sent him six seedlings in the mail from his trees and what I saw was the surviving 4. He said he went down there to visit when these magnolias were in bloom and was fascinated by their beauty. The trees I saw were nice sized trees when I went there, at least 12ft tall about 3 years ago. I wish I still had the guy's number but he since then had his number changed and got out of poultry. The crazy thing I realized after reading this thread is that he planted no special cold hardy cultivar and the parentage of these seedlings was from the south. I'm curious now if cultivar types truly matter? Has anyone else pushed the limits on any plain old none cultivar specific southern magnolias in Zone 5 or below?

• Jeff Ashenfelter
    10 years ago

I'm in Springfield Illinois. I have Edith Bogue and Brackens Brown Beauty. I have also seen specimens of Little Gem and D D Blanchard. I haven't checked to see if D D Blanchard has survived but I know the other 3 have. As far as whether specific variety is important I don't know.

• byronsoul
    2 years ago

I wonder if anyone is still following this thread. I originally started it with one name (meadowbrite) but since had created a new account with houzz. My Southern Magnolia is still growing in the Chicago burbs, I guess it's 16 years old.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    2 years ago

byronsoul, do you have any current photos of your tree? A quick search turned up this photo of 3 Little Gem Magnolias at the Chicago Botanic Garden, growing in what appears to be a relatively protected location. There would probably be more interest in this topic (southern magnolias surviving in zone 5) on the Trees forum - have you considered posting there?

• HU-749642184
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have a Brackens Beauty planted in Sp. 2020 in southeastern Cook County, Illinois 13 miles from Lake Michigan growing on acidic silt loam moist soil. It produced two flowers first year and one last year. No flower buds this year. So far it has survived two winters ranging between -5 to -7 below zero. This year several leaves are brown and coppery. The tree is not protected. It is on a semi shaded site with minimal wind. The winters of 2014 and 2019 were among Chicago area's coldest and would have been rough on these trees growing in this area. It would be interesting to see the current state of the aforementioned northern Illinois southern magnolias after these winters. Native magnolias that have flowered well in this area are Magnolia virginiana and Magnolia macrophylla (20ft). Flowering dogwood, including Cherokee Chief has also grown well if sited properly..

• byronsoul
    2 years ago

I will make sure to post updated photos of the Edith Bouge. it is alive, few years ago the top of it didnt recover from a harsh winter when we had temps below -20F. But it now grows as a big bush rather than a tree with amazing evergreen leaves.

• HU-758775141
    last year

Have a BBB planted in Arlington Heights (15 miles from Lake Mich) in 2003. Rough year in 2020 with deep freeze, but it's now 10' and healthy. Only 2 flowers over the years. Have it on south side of the house and screen it off from winter sun from late Dec through Feb.

• HU-749642184
    last year

Thanks. I have a "Brackens Brown" that was planted in Sp 2020 at about 30inches. It produced two spectacular flowers that Spring, one the next year and none in 2022. Some minor leaf drop last year so we will see what happens this winter. I live in Homewood about 13 miles from Lake Michigan. The tree is planted in slight shade facing south west. Mississippi native magnolias grow naturally in shaded woods.

Yours has responded well to severe weather considering 2014 and 2019 were among the coldest on record for the Chicago region.

Big leaf and Sweet Bay do well in southeastern Cook County if properly sited but are rarely planted. I have not heard Magnolia grandiflora mentioned in the Chicago area especially about its hardiness. I imagine North Shore communities like Evanston -Lake Forest may have had success. I couild not find it in the Chicago Botanic Garden in Glencoe.

Does your tree produce flowers every year or just two flowers per year?

• arbordave (SE MI)
    last year

"I could not find it in the Chicago Botanic Garden in Glencoe"

I've never visited the CBG, but the above photo of Little Gem Magnolias was taken in September 2019 in the "circle garden" (which is located near the Regenstein Center), less than 2 miles from Lake Michigan. The same webpage had this close up photo (below) of one of the 3 LG Magnolias. It would be interesting to know how well these have grown over the last 3 years ...

• HU-749642184
    last year

Thanks for the information. Those look real healthy. According to an earlier note, Birdsnbloom mentioned he observed Southern Magnolia at 15ft with flowers in the suburb of Brookfield which is around 10 miles west of Lake Michigan. Mine will have no flowers this Spring because there are no flower buds on the branches. Discoloration on some of the leaves along with leaf drop from the -9 temperatures last winter. Despite this it put out new healthy growth.

• jlaitar
    last year

I found a Southern Magnolia near my house in Darien, IL (8433 Alden). Not which type, but was 8 feet tall, and looked healthy.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living