Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good nurseries for mailing?

Posted by yardmartyr 5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 07 at 8:06

There are a few perennials I'd like for my garden but can't locate them in my area garden centers. Specifically, I'm looking for the new coreopsis 'pinwheel,' geranium 'rozanne,' and clematis 'etoile violette'. You'd think the last two would be easy to find, but I'm having no luck. So I was wondering which nurseries any of you would recommend for mail ordering. I've never done it so I don't know what to expect. Also, maybe some of you live in northeast IL (almost Wisconsin)and know where these plants might be available. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good nurseries for mailing?

You can find Geranium 'Rozanne' and Clematis 'Etoile Violette' at Platt Hill Nusery (platthillnursery.com) in Carpentersville, IL, and the coreopsis at Garden Crossings, a mailorder nursery in MI.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Crossings

o

Thanks! That is very helpful.

o

Not about those particular plants but there are several excellent nurseries in WI, Milaeger is one I visit often. Geimer Nursery Long grove, IL is good and big- there are several of them located close to each other.

o

I have no knowledge about where you can get these particular varieties. But I do know of a mail order company that my mother and I have purchased from for at least 40 years. It is Jungs in Randolph, Wisconsin. They are family run and have been in business for at least 100 years. They do have a web site that is OK but their catalog is great. I would recommend them. They also have a nursery in Madison which I have never gone to.

o

I realize it's too late in the season, but I've found the best way to grow rarer plants is by sowing seeds..Especially annuals.
When I look for something special to add to my garden, it seems all stores carry the same plants..nothing unusual..and if you do happen to come across something rare, it's way overpriced..
Plant Nanny, I agree w/you about Jungs..they sell interesting plants/seeds..been ordering from them for yrs. Henry's used to sell about the same plants/prices as Jungs. Can't recall where it's located..
For those of you who live in northern Il, Jamacan Gardens sells a good variety of plants..there's one in, I believe, Libertyville, the other in Morton Grove..I love shopping at both nurseries..Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here