Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vamptoo

First new house

Vamptoo
18 years ago

My son and his wife just bought their first new house in Kansas City, MO. The yard is a empty landscape begging for shrubs and plants. I'm in Spartanburg, SC so I'm not familiar with that zone and it's peculiarities but I promised I would start some seeds and such for them.

What are some easy to care for plants and shrubs that I could get started for them? She is just learning to garden so I don't want anything fussy to discourage her.

Thanks for any ideas!!

Cindy

Comments (5)

• lannegreenelag
    18 years ago

I am outside KC. Depending on where in KC they are in I would advise her to shop around til she finds a nursery she likes where they are helpful and nice. Do not go to the local hardware or box stores for plants, I have had no luck with their specials, either they are of pore quality or not suited to the area, and the staff are not helpful. I personally love the Family Tree nursery, they have several locations. Forsythia, lilac and peony all thrive here and are readily available.

• Amber_KC
    18 years ago

Vamptoo - i am a new gardener and new homeowner in KC too! i don't exactly hav ethe answer to your question but have some thoughts and ideas:

-- until i bought my own house, i never really noticed what was blooming around town. I started noticing and would decribe what i liked and envision where to put it...then asked gardener friends what they were. Maybe the D-in-law could do this and you could identify and grow.

-- there is an EXCELLENT site called missouri grow native. This will give you a good idea of what natively grows around here (you can order too). www.grownative.org

-- Soil Service Center is an awesome place -- they are not snobby gardeners and will take all the time in the world to describe and explain. A woman named Carel works there and walked me from plant to plant last weekend to describe the plants as if they were babies and how to care for them -- she even pointed out ones that she wouldn't recommend as a beginner...this might help them get local advice.

• RuthannaM
    18 years ago

Hiya.. :-)
    I have lived outside of KC on the Missouri side.. I found that the soil was heavy clay and needed gypsum and soil amendments such as manure and compost, some sand and peat might be added too. Peat is great in your shady areas for shade loving plants. Ferns and wild flowers, hardy to your area azaleas, and hostas etc. Then start going to the nurseries. Shrubs and trees are the "bones" of your garden and should be some of the first things you consider. Grasses can come next after shrubs if you like as they are architectural elements in the garden. Perennials and annuals later .. Put it on paper, thats where your design begins AFTER you make sure your soil is amended.
    RuthannaM Master Gardener.

• katielovesdogs
    18 years ago

I used to live in KS. I suggest drought tolerant plants. Have your kids go to Kaufmann gardens that are just south of the art museum near the Plaza. That's where I got my inspiration.

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

Just a little reminder about new home gardening....

Many brand new homeowners report unexplained problems in certain areas around the property... usually fairly near the house or right in one or more of the foundation beds.
    A common problem with new homes is that the construction crews often dump chemicals, paint, debris etc right on the ground by the house which contaminates the soil. they may or may not cart in some topsoil for a light covering before planting any landscaping or laying lawn sod/seed etc.
    If you are having unexplained problems then this could be the source of it. the only way to prove it is to take a soil sample to yourlocal county extension agent. but you can replace the top foot or so of soil yourself... without a test... as thats what you'd have to do anyways to correct the problem if it is contaminated.
    also the heavy construction equipment rolled over the lawn and garden areas will severely compact the soil. again... a thin layer of top soil will be added on top for plants etc but it doesnt take care of the problem. plants may survive but not thrive as they are suffocating in the soil.

Sue
    'The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow'