Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvs2garden85

New to site wanted to share, and a couple questions.

Luvs2garden85
10 years ago

Hi everyone I'm new I live in Southern Ohio. We just recently bought a house, and there are flower beds everywhere. Some are taken up but a few have nothing but a few small patches of succulents. One bed has nothing but huge columbine, one has a few daffodils and a rose bush but a lot more room for other plantings. then there are two that just have the succulents in them. On top of that there are Iris' scattered everywhere.

My first question would be could I move some of the iris to the beds and they bloom the following year?

Secondly could I transplant the tulips I have now at my house I am currently living in I know these are tricky ones to transplant. I didn't know if Iris were the same.

Since there are tons of daffodils I am not taking any of mine but this leads to my 3rd question.

The daffodils have already came and gone when is the best time to cut them down? Because they bed they are in are overgrown with weeds. Since this was a bank owned house no one really took care of the landscape.

Any and all help would be appreciated. I'm enclosing a few pics of the Iris and columbine as those are all that is in bloom right now.

Comments (2)

• Luvs2garden85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any help would be wonderful :)

• Zinnia1
    10 years ago

Hi Luvstogarden! Sometimes this board is hopping with activity, sometimes rather slow.

I grew up, went to college and worked and lived in MI for years, matter of fact, I used to be a Michigan Master Gardener. Two years ago I moved to Colorado. Same planting zone, but SO different due to altitude and arid conditions. I still like to lurk in the Midwest forums, and MI and Ohio being neighbors, and the Columbine (my new state's State Flower) really caught my eye. I so miss fertile soil and an abundance of fresh water!

Anyway, here is some advice for your questions. It is best to move and divide bulbs about six weeks after blooming. Just pull them up, separate the 'bulbettes,' rinse them well with water, let them dry, and simply store them in a dry place until the fall. You can then replant them. Keep in mind that the size of the plant you will get from the bulb will be determined by the size of bulb you plant. If the bulb is small, the plant will be on the small size, but in time will grow and become grand.

Don't be afraid if six weeks after the bloom fades the leaves are still green. As long as about 1/2 inch of the tip of the leaf has turned brown, the bulb has taken in all the nutrients it needs to grow again next year. Some people will say that you need for the leaves to completely die back, but this is scientifically not true. 1/2 inch of die back is all you need.

Something I like to do is cut the green leaves of the bulbs to about 2 inches above ground level after the blooms are gone. As the growing season progresses, you can 'pull' the remaining leaves by simply twisting them and they will pop right off. Lets face it, dying back bulb leaves are unsightly!

For the Iris', wait again until at least 1/2 inch of the leaves after blooming, turn brown and dry. You will have can then divide the rhizome, if necessary, and re-plant to a new location. Google how to divide Iris, you will find many videos which will guide you through the process.

For the Columbine, you will have to move it, again, about six weeks after blooming. Columbines do not like to have their roots disturbed, so you will have to dig/lift as much soil as you can when moving. Take a hand shovel and determine where you can no longer hear the roots rippling, and dig down at least a foot. Take the whole huge clump and drop it in a prepared hole in another location.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio