Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booksncuppa

Gift of a Garden: Please Advise

booksncuppa
17 years ago

My little sister, age 24, has bought her very first home. SheÂs very proud of it, though itÂs already gouged her deeply in terms of repairs (it seems the home inspection person didnÂt do a good job before she purchased it). SheÂs been in it a couple of months and I saw it for the first time yesterday.

Frankly, IÂm disappointed, especially knowing how frustrated, upset, and tearful sheÂs been as sheÂs experienced the pains of homeownership (new roof within your first two months of residence, anyone?). The property is in desperate need of TLC. For those of you living in Omaha, itÂs off of 72nd and Josephine, to give you an idea of the area. The other properties crowding around hers are equally neglected.

I know sheÂs living on Ramen and water for the next 30 years, and rather than injure her pride, IÂd like to give her something - a garden to make her home as beautiful as she is.

There are limitations, of course. IÂll be doing the work all on my own and only when she isnÂt home, because I donÂt want her to know who is doing it or why. Second, IÂm moving in five weeks to California and IÂll have to complete the work before then, between two-full time jobs and 15 credit hours of school. Third, my own pocketbook is limited. Fourth, the space is very small and I donÂt want to crowd her. Fifth, I donÂt know anything about gardening or landscaping. ItÂll be me, a stack of books, and a spade, trying to figure out which end I should use to dig.

Some ideas IÂve had: a low, slim hedge lining the street, solar torches lining the driveway, flowerbeds (possibly raised to give the illusion of space?) under her windows filled with low-maintenance, fragrant perennials that are beautiful all year long. She loves Gerbera daisies, IÂm hoping to find a similar plant for her flowerbeds.

IÂll take pictures at our barbeque tonight (if it doesnÂt get rained out) so that everyone can see it as it is now. I canÂt wait to hear everyoneÂs responses so that I can get started!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz