Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bunny troubles

Posted by fsheik1 none (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 14 at 9:53

Our back yard is infested with bunnies, they constantly attack my vegetable patch. Any suggestions on how to protect my vegetables?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bunny troubles

Some people swear by used cat litter. Others have tried cayenne pepper. I have more than rabbits to contend with (chipmunks,squirrels, groundhogs) so I will not have a garden unless it is entirely fenced in. I googled to find a solution. Even though it is in another forum, you might find some of the info useful. Good luck!

www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43275&sid=0fb9719282a872737e091da011c75836

o

Dog Hair! If you don't have your own that you brush out,you can find a dog grooming shop that would be happy
to give your their clippings.
Fill a knee-hi panty hose sock with the hair (you don't have to use the whole sock!), and make "sachets". Hang them low around your plants, you can tie to chopsticks from your
favorite chinese place or use wooden skewers from the dollar store. Because their bodies are so flexible, they can get through most wiring.
I had a bunch of rabbits in the winter- chewed the bark on my roses. So I decided to "feed" them, thus savings plants.
They graced me with only two babies, which scampered off when I found them - full of fur & cotton tails! No rabbits thus far.
You may also want to consider an area far from your plants and create a bunny patch...timothy grass is very good for their digestive system - at Pet Supplies Plus, parsley, carrots with tops, etc.

o

The only luck I've had is with fencing. We make "playpens" out of chicken wire and 1x2 framing and surround the plants that the rabbits love. We started out attaching the panels to each other with hinges, but have found that making a bunch of separate panels and attaching them to each other with strips of velcro tape actually gives us more flexibility on shape and makes it easy to remove a single panel for access.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here