Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthiaquilts

Bloom time advances one day for 15 miles south?

cynthiaquilts
16 years ago

My husband insists that the bloom time for plants advances one day for every 15 miles south of Chicago you travel. Does anyone have any information on this or is this a myth? He says that he heard this theory was endorsed by the owner of Klehm's Nursery which used to be located in Arlington Heights. I would like to find some source to confirm or refute this claim.

Comments (4)

• anya_101
    16 years ago

Well, I do know for myself, that every two hours either north or south is around or equal to, 2 weeks difference from where I am at. But that is with almost anything such as when mushrooms appear, blooming times for certain plants, when deer are in rut in the fall or when fish are spawning in the spring.
    So no, does not sound extreme for me to hear that.

• entling
    16 years ago

I've never heard that rigid formula, but I know that suburbs such as Olympia Fields & Chicago Hts are about a week ahead of the Northwest suburbs.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    16 years ago

I've heard of that formula many years ago and agree with it. Remember though, that we are talking about simular elevation and no coastal or lake effects.

• kelly6780
    16 years ago

I live in 6b/7a. So we can check this out. Tell me some of the plants you have and I will match with the plants in my yard. We'll see how far away we are in miles and calculate!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH