Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bloom time advances one day for 15 miles south?

Posted by cynthiaquilts 5a (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 07 at 9:57

My husband insists that the bloom time for plants advances one day for every 15 miles south of Chicago you travel. Does anyone have any information on this or is this a myth? He says that he heard this theory was endorsed by the owner of Klehm's Nursery which used to be located in Arlington Heights. I would like to find some source to confirm or refute this claim.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bloom time advances one day for 15 miles south?

Well, I do know for myself, that every two hours either north or south is around or equal to, 2 weeks difference from where I am at. But that is with almost anything such as when mushrooms appear, blooming times for certain plants, when deer are in rut in the fall or when fish are spawning in the spring.
So no, does not sound extreme for me to hear that.

o

I've never heard that rigid formula, but I know that suburbs such as Olympia Fields & Chicago Hts are about a week ahead of the Northwest suburbs.

o

I've heard of that formula many years ago and agree with it. Remember though, that we are talking about simular elevation and no coastal or lake effects.

o

I live in 6b/7a. So we can check this out. Tell me some of the plants you have and I will match with the plants in my yard. We'll see how far away we are in miles and calculate!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here