Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresa6

lilac advice please?

theresa6
13 years ago

I have positive childhood memories of our neighbors lilac bushes. They were huge and smelled amazing! I just love the smell of lilacs ;)

Now that I have my own home and yard, I would love to have lilac bushes of my own. I know that they don't hold much seasonal interest other than spring, but their smell is amazing.

I am hoping for some advice on the best variety to choose for our conditions. We are in the chicago area/zone 5. The spot available is between our home and fence. It is a low area so moist, not to mention it is right near our downspout. I wouldn't say it is swampy, but its definately wetter than other spots in our yard. It gets good sun for most of the day but since it is next to the house it does get some shade. The space we have to work with is a rectangle about 10 feet wide. Height is not that big of an issue, but I would like it to be as tall as our fence eventually which is 6ft. Fragrance and flowering is important as I definately want the pretty fragrant flowers.

Is there a lilac variety that will work well in our location? thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor