Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to keep star jasmine

Posted by joandaugh Z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Tue, May 30, 06 at 10:53

OK, I tried to find something on the forum about keeping a star jasmine in Zone 5, but no luck. I have a little one (about 2 feet) in a good size pot. I'd like to let it vine on my pergola, but I realize it can't winter outside. If I cut it off at the end of the season, will it grow long vines again in the spring? Or does it grow on previous growth only? Does that make sense at all? I just wonder if I let it go crazy now, snip it off and keep it in my greenhouse over the winter, if it will come back again next spring. Or would it be better to keep it "in the pot" and grow it on a form of some kind? If so, I wonder how big that form would need to be . . . I read that it's basically evergreen in the proper climate. I saw pictures this weekend of vines taking over houses. I LOVE the smell and would love to keep it around as long as possible. Does anybody have one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to keep star jasmine

I have kept some for two winters in the basement under lights. This past fall they both survived 19 degrees outside in their pots. They dropped all their leaves when I brought them inside and grew them back in the basement. Now they look great and are blooming. I think they are very forgiving plants. The nice thing is you don't have to run and "rescue" them before the first freeze because they will take it. I do cut them back a bit each year and they still bloom nicely. I have them trained up some bamboo poles and 20" or so diameter pots with other annuals around the bottom.

o

That's good to know about the cold. I was doing some reading and was surprised to see that zone (is it 7?) can go to 20 degrees. It's definitely worth trying, especially if they're resilient!

o

I knew the tops could take the cold, but the soil was at least partially frozen that morning. I didn't know if the roots would survive that. I guess they did.

o

how often do you water in winter then and how warm is your basement, i keep mine at 50 so my canna bulbs dont rot, i keep my banna tree in bathroom.

o

Sort of guessing here, but it is an unheated basement. I would say about 60 degrees. I water maybe twice a month. I keep them pretty dry. They do get a little shabby looking, but once I move them to a 3 season porch in early April or so they bounce back nicely.

o

wonder if i could save and over winter a hibiscus, in basement under lights??? nice to save some over if can, thanks for info on jasmine , i love it.. Dessa

o

Well, I'm going to try to do it this year with two different potted jasmines. I had jasmine back home in CA in zone 9. I do know that you can hack the thing with aplomb and it bounces back.

However, the winter is another story. Going to try though. The ease of the fine, and it's smell is worth the attempt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here