Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clay soil-yellowish plant leaves

Posted by muddy_mom 5b (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 12:45

I have Indiana clay soil that hasnt been worked in years. I have added spagum moss, leaf mulch, compost, some blood and bone meal and sand( not masonry style). Worked it in about 18- 20 inches deep then let everything stand couple of weeks before planting.
My plants start off great, growing well then start to loose green color, getting a yellowish cast..
Am I lacking a nutrient needed for uptake?
Any ideas would help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clay soil-yellowish plant leaves

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 28, 13 at 21:32

If you have alkaline clay soil, it could be that your plants are unable to take up iron. A soil pH test would be useful, in this situation. I use agricultural sulfur to lower soil pH in our blueberry beds. I prefer to base soil additions on test results, as opposed to guesswork. However, you could put down one tablespoon of agricultural sulfur around a few plants, and see if this improves the color of the leaves. It will take about a month for the sulfur to have much effect.

o
RE: clay soil-yellowish plant leaves

I am also in IN up North & the soil by me has a ph of 7.
You have done the right amending for IN so you are good there. I hope you added some type of fertilizer. Say 12-12 12 or 10-10-10 or perhaps manure. I use 12-12-12 every spring & I am good to go. When I do notice a plant has some yellowing I first make sure I am giving the plants plenty of water if no rain. To help certain plants out I will spray them with a 1tsp of Kelp to a gallon of water. I spray just the foliage & not on a sunny day. I use powdered Kelp I get at the health food store since it is cheapest there.
The Kelp does turn the leaves green again & it also helps my plant multiply quickly even bulbs like Tulips or Dafs.
Other than some fertilizer/nitrogen you seem to have done everything right. Hope this helps. MaMoo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here