Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scrawny rhubarb!

Posted by trisha_51 z4 (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 05 at 13:12

Last year I planted 5 hills of rhubarb. I thought I was planting them all the same, but this spring one is very scrawny, maybe only 3 inches high, while the others are doing well at about 10 inches tall. I'm wondering if I need to dig it up and replant it? Has anyone else had this happen to theirs? Any suggestions for what to do? Thanks! Of course, it's the plant in the middle! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scrawny rhubarb!

Since you just planted last year, you need to be patient, as you won't have a full crop for three years. You should be able to use a few stalks from the strongest plants this year, but only for the first month. After that, you should just let the plants grow. Be sure to check on them, feed them (compost and aged manure), and water them if necessary.
Late in the fall, you can cut the remaining stalks off and leave them alone for the winter.
Hopefully, next year you will have a healthy crop ready for using.

Jan

o
RE: scrawny rhubarb!

If there was a prize for the world's scrawniest rhubarb, I would get it! I have rhubarb that I planted 2 years ago and the entire plant, 2 tiny leaves, is about 3-4 inches across. That is across both leaves the long way! I planted them in an openish spot that my brother once burned branches on, so maybe the pH is off. Also it is hot heavy clay and I don't water there much. Don't fertilize it much either, guess I am torturing it. SO, I am going to dig up the tiny one (the other ones are better, but also miniature) and put it in a new raised bed with rich soil.

Meanwhile, someone I give fruit to gave me lots of rhubarb today, and I can get more from my brother-in-law. But it is odd how tiny mine is, I thought it would be bigger this year than the last or the first but no. Maybe it is on top of a rock or ?!? I actually bought these plants from a store, the ones a friend gave me are doing better.

Marcia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here