Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting a new garden in central illinois

Posted by zrox 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 11 at 15:04

Hello all,

We are starting out fresh at a new construction single family home. We had the yard seeded past week and its starting to come up slowly. We are in central illinois.

House is North-South oriented.

I am looking for recommendations on the following.
1) Ideal perennial flowering plants/shrubs
2) We love trees and would like fall colors. In addition to crab apples, maples, what else can we plant?
3) Recommendations on good quality nurseries to purchase trees
4) Ideal location for a vegetable garden. Recommendations on suitable vegetables for our climate
5) Anything else you can spare for an inexperienced gardener.

I am from a tropical wet & dry climate. Gardening in those areas is very simple and easy. Everything grows rapidly with sufficient availability of water. The only care I have experience is watering them every day.

Its my understanding trees are very slow growing here due to cold weather.

Thank you for all your time

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting a new garden in central illinois

I was in the same boat a few years back, came over here and did not have a clue. The things that worked for me I placed on a web site ... yardpace.org(during that horrible winter storm) had to think about spring somehow. All my comments are specifically for gardening in the Midwest. I live in the Chicago Metro Area. All I can say is please do not plant any maples, they are a nuisance.

o

Yeah, I did see your site from some of your other responses. Cool time lapse videos.

Why do you say Maples are a nuisance?

o

1. You might plant cottonwood trees on the south and east to shade your house. They grow very quickly and the leaves shimmer and rub together with a wispy sound, turning yellow in the fall. Be prepared to remove them in about 20 years, but that will give your hardwoods time to grow and mature. You "go green" and save money, too, with less utilities.
2. You're in squash country now. You know all of those things that grow on vines? Butternut squash, acorn squash, pumpkins, gourds, cucumbers are all favorites. Also zucchini squash.
3. Remember those stories of the pilgrims? You're in the same kind of zone-pumpkins, corn, squash, potatoes, onions, beans, peas, beets, carrots.
4. Anything that requires a long growing period to reach maturity should be planted as early as possible. Fruit trees are great, but in this zone the blossoms will sometimes freeze and it's rare to be able to "count on" a certain amount/crop each year.
5. Enjoy those crunchy fall days. Rake leaves into piles and jump in them. Tie a dozen cornstalks together at the top and set the bottom ends out like a tripod--lots of fun! Don't forget to use those leaves as nature's mulch to cover plants up for the winter so they don't "bite the dust" in the sub-zero days.
Have fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here