Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's blooming in the Midwest - May 2014

Posted by jjstatz29 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 15:17

Borrowing from Pixie_lou in the New England gardening forum. What's blooming here in the midwest?

This is a place to post photos, and to discuss, what is in your garden. This is the thread for May 2014. All garden photos are welcome. Since Spring is here, our focus will be on flowers in this thread. However, all landscape and garden photos are welcome. If it is a photo taken in your garden or your yard, it is fair game to post it here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's blooming in the Midwest - May 2014

Well... it's mostly just the bulbs blooming here in zone 5 Iowa - but my god they are putting on a show. Let's hope they make it through the brutal wind and heat of the next few days.

Here's parrot tulip Rai with gold dust behind.

Rai tulip photo rai_zps1c7ca07f.jpg

The ornamental Almond is just beginning to open up.

Almond photo almond_zpsb1d47852.jpg

Casa grande (monster blooms! with lovely purple variegated leaves... well what the rabbits didn't eat anyway), Purple Parrot Rai, Sensual Touch, and Gold dust trying to steal the show....

casa grande and rai tulip and sensual touch photo casagrande_zps6ec94600.jpg

Gold Dust... You know, just being... Stunning.

gold dust tulip photo golddust_zps8a6eb107.jpg

Bouquet of Apple, Pear, and Almond blossoms.

apple blossom photo applebouquet_zps3dc97458.jpg

(the fragrance is bordering on intoxicating. That's a jalapeno cheddar foccacia by the way...)

Apricot Blooms

apricot photo apricot_zpsc4cccf28.jpg

New beds planted this past Sunday - Looking a tad sloppy without mulch and edging... but that's a project for another day. At the bottom right you can see my new own root Munstead Wood rose from DA.

front bed photo bed2_zps530d12e2.jpg

The tulip bed - just planted the sides as well - Oriental poppies - Drama Queen, Danish Flag, Double Black, Double Purple, Red Fringed. Tavor Artichoke, Verbascum mix, Scented Stock, Flowering Kales, Silver Dichondra, Creeping Artisimia, my lovely eremerus poking their alien like heads up, and a bunch of other things I can scarcely remember planting.
tulip bed photo bed1_zps5c73a4bb.jpg

o

Blooming in Central Nebraska. My bulbs are putting on a show, too.
 photo 201405062claudiatulips_zps2b84c831.jpg
Claudia Tulips
 photo 20140506frontofhousewtulips_zps5d09affd.jpg
 photo 20140506redtulipsfromabove_zps09a2aab8.jpg

o

Yay! Someone replied! Do you what kind of tulips those are by any chance?

o

Thanks for starting this thread. I saw the posts on the other forum too--I was searching for some kind if plant and wound up on the New England forums.

Here are a few flowers around hosta valentine lace.

o

Amsonia , peony Paula Fey,
Some no id iris, columbine in the background

o

Indiana here.

Tail-end of the irises. Starting to get pretty droopy and brown.

Peonies are starting to bloom.

Swoon! My second attempt at dahlias.

The wildflowers are starting to bloom as well, but haven't taken any pictures yet. Lilies will be here shortly!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here