Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New here and need plant IDs

Posted by fagopher Seminole 9b (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 14 at 15:39

Hi All,

I just moved into northern Illinois and got a house with many plants and I don't know most of them . I need some help IDing them..

I uploaded the photos to flickr (probably too many to add the photos in one posting) and added comments to them the link is:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95946811@N04/sets/72157644750892154/detail/

Thanks in advance for any help..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New here and need plant IDs

Hi Fagopher:

Tree 6 is a weedy mulberry (Morus alba). They are difficult to get rid of because they keep sprouting from the stump if you cut them down.

Plant 7 is a spurge (Euphorbia). Not sure if it is native or exotic.

Plant 6 is another tree weed, tree of heaven (Ailanthus altissima).

Plant 1 is Lily of the Valley (Convallaria).

Plant 5 is a Peony.

Plant 4 is a dwarf Spirea that will have pink flowers soon.

Plant 8 looks like a lilac but I'm not sure.

Plant 9 looks like a gooseberry (Ribes).

o

Thanks for the info. That is a great start!!

o

Hi!
2. This might be a perennial geranium. They have purple flowers.
3. yes, allium, ornamental garlic of some kind.
7. This looks like Siberian Wallflower. Are the flowers orange and frangrant? If you like it, that's great. If you don't pull them out before their slightly swelling spine-like leaves swell and pop open with seeds. The seeds will go everywhere. It's a biennial. It looks a lot like dianthus in the beginning (at least to me).
Heidi in Nebraska

o

Tree 1 looks like Burning Bush, identifiable by it's unique stems. Bright red foliage in fall.
Tree 2 looks like Redbud, identfiable by it's heart-shaped leaves. Blooms in early May.
Tree 3 appears to be lilac, blooms in May
Tree 7 - maybe an ornamental cherry of some sort. The shiny bark with white lenticels are an identifier.
Plant 7 is spurge a.k.a. euphorbia
Plant 1 Lily of the Valley
Plant 5 Peony
Plant 2 is not geranium, but hard to from photo. Has it bloomed yet? That would be a good identifier.
Plant 11 Is it spiny? If so, could be barberry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here