Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyinmo

Ground Cover Suggestions?

AmyinMO
14 years ago

I'm trying to decide which groundcover would be best for a steep, currently weed- and grass-covered slope. I need something low-maintenance, that will hopefully choke out weeds (tons of dandelions and a few other things), help prevent soil erosion, and we would like it to be attractive most (or all) of the year. We really would rather NOT cover the slope with rock, unless it's our only option left. I'd almost rather let the dandelions take over the area than do *another* rock slope, lol.

The area currently gets lots of sun (dawn to dusk), but we will be planting a tall hedge row (Wall of China hedges) along the top (East side) of it for privacy reasons, so it will be getting much less sunlight than it does now (probably 3-4 hours?). The soil is well-drained for the most part.

I have been looking at Wintergreen, Creeping Myrtle, Purple Wintercreeper, Red Creeping Sedum, and Irish Moss. Are any of them troublesome (i.e., too invasive, don't do well on steep slopes, high-maintenance, etc.) or not a good fit for our conditions?

Are there others I should consider? The only ground cover we KNOW we do not want is Creeping Phlox of any kind--it's very, very common in our neighborhood, and we do not think it's very pretty when it isn't in bloom.

I'm leaning toward Wintergreen, partly because the berries are edible, but mostly because it looks attractive most of the year--at least in pictures, lol. Does it choke out weeds well? Will it grow okay on the west side of tall hedges? Will it spread fairly quickly without becoming too invasive? Or would something else work better to do what we want?

Am I asking too many questions? lol

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

--Amy

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor