Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carterobrien

climbing flowering vine for Chicago

carterobrien
15 years ago

Hello, we have an ug-mo tool shed we want to cover with a flowering vine, and are hoping to get something besides the ubiquitous clematis.

I saw a beautiful climbing hydrangea vine at a local nursery, anyone tried one?

Comments (10)

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

When I lived near Chicago, I tried the climbing hydrangea vine, once and it died. It's so pretty, though, that I think it's worth a try.

I would have recommended clematis, but you are looking for something else.

I had good luck with morning glories. They are annuals, but mine would always reseed themselves each year. I could never get moonflower to grow, though.

Good luck

• carterobrien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, I am going to try the hydrangea, I can always go with the clematis if they don't "take."

• katie_55
    15 years ago

Another vine to try would be Honeysuckle Vine. I got one this year and it is really pretty.

• carterobrien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

we considered the honeysuckle, if the hydrangeas don't make it over the winter we will likely try those -

the hydrangea vines are doing great so far, although I think they do need some sort of support. I had read they would cement themselves to a structure naturally, but so far that's not happening.

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

CarterO, The hydrangea vine is really quite slow growing.
    To keep the area interesting, plant annual or your hated
    clematis vine until the Hyd finally makes it to maturity in about 5 years.

I dont know if this is ever stated by plantsmen, but, the hydrangea is as much an OUTgrowing vine, as an UPgrowing vine. Mine is lovely against its trellis/arbor setting.
    Almost none of it is growing up.

I guess it would describe it as more of an upright bush, than a vine. Or maybe a mix of the above. Wonderful plant! Give it lots of outwards room.

Pondy

• carterobrien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you, that is very interesting & good to hear, as I kept wondering when our plants would behave as Michael Dirr describes in his book ("a true climbing vine") -

looks like I'll have to put some trellis' up on the shed, no big problem (and I certainly don't mind if this beautiful plant wants to stretch out horizontally!)

the funny thing is our plants have been growing fairly quickly for a first year, at least relative to the boston ivy I planted a few years back. do they take a few years to flower?

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

How about Hummingbird Vine/Trumpet Vine? Flowers bud from mid-summer into autumn. The only problem is it's invasive, if you consider that a problem.
    Ours vines on an arbor, started 2 years ago, and has covered more than 3/4ths the arbor..

Another beautiful vine is hanging Wistera. If it flowers, blooms are unbelievable. Check out sites for pics and care. Both are hardy to z5..Toni

• mysteryrose
    15 years ago

I live in Chicago and have three climbing hydrangeas. In its third year and since, the east-facing one has bloomed beautifully. One north-facing one started blooming a bit in its fifth year. Another north-facing one, the one that gets almost no sun, has never bloomed. It seems to be a plant that can take dappled shade and bloom but not full shade. Yes, do provide it some support. Good luck to you.

• carterobrien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

great news - if you think of it come spring, would you share a picture of it when it blooms?

• PRO
    Van Zelst Inc
    3 years ago

Honeysuckle will for sure cover in one season.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!