Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to find roses WI/IL

Posted by Bean_counter_z4 Zone 4, Rkfd,IL (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 17:35

I've got 4 roses on my list--2 Austins, 1 Buck, 1HT that I cannot find locally. Anyone know a real good rose nursery in south central WI or northern IL? The roses I want are Sharifa Asma, Pat Austin, Distant Drums and Dainty Bess. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to find roses WI/IL

I know that Jungs has Distant Drums --

o

Spring Valley Roses is very reputable and has beautiful plants. They are in southern WI and they specialize in hardy plants. http://www.springvalleyroses.com/

If they don't have what you want, though, why not mail order? The quality you get can be much more consistent and you're likely to get own-root, which will be more likely to handle our yucky weather. Sam Kedem nurseries is a great MN dealer. Pickering is done shipping for the season, but there's always High Country Roses, Ashdown, Antique Rose Emporium (their shipping closes down Tuesday), Amity Heritage Roses, Heirloom Roses, etc etc...

Ashdown lists this company as an Illinois retailer of their stuff:

Walkup Heritage Farm & Gardens
5215 Walkup Road
Crystal Lake, IL 60012
815-459-7090

I know Gethsemane in Chicago has all the roses for sure except Dainty Bess - but I'd call ahead because they have such limited stock sometimes and you'd want to reserve it. They do have nice big healthy plants, although not all are own root.

o

The Growing Place in Naperville and Aurora has a great selection of roses. I bought 2 "Ramblin' Red" climbers there a few years ago.

o

It is way too late to mail order now.

Call Planter's palette in winfield, IL - they are a good nursery although not cheap. (they have a website). Mail order: I recommend chamblees roses for own root (exc. service, reasonable shipping) and pickering for grafted bareroot. Order in January to get your choices...

o

Pickering Nurseries isn't shipping anymore until next year. They use to ship twice in the year - Spring and Fall, but they changed that recently. Bummer!

o

Chamblee's is done too. High Country Roses continues to ship, and I think Roses Unlimited (huge own-roots)ships for another week.

o

I was at Gethsemane Nursery yesterday with my Mom - took the day off - and they had a great selection of roses. A lot of David Austins, climbers and OGRs. My only complaint is the price - $24.99 each. That's way more than I want to pay for a rose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here