Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can we talk? Chicago area nurseries - your favorites

Posted by dlm2000 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 17:42

Wondering what your favorite places are with good selection, healthy stock, reasonable prices and any other criteria you deem important. It used to be fun wandering around looking but not anymore at $415+/gal ! I'd like to break out of my usual/habitual (and overpriced) places (Pasquesi, Chalet, Anton's in HP not Evanston) and try some of your suggestions. Anyone have hidden gems to share or well known tried and true? Lurvey's was mentioned on another thread, any others? Is anyone familiar with Hibbard Road Gardens - worthwile?

I'm north, in Highland Park, so don't want to go to Orland Park or Villa Park even though they may have wonderful plant places. Maybe someday when I have my hydro-car ;-)

Has there ever been a post with people listing their favorite places? Would that be useful?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can we talk? Chicago area nurseries - your favorites

I browse at Chalet in Wilmette and occasionally shop at Red's (on Dundee Road in Northbrook between Landwehr and Sanders) and Lurvey's (on Dempster), but my favorite garden center is Pesche's on Des Plaines River Road, just south of Golf Road, in Des Plaines.

And judging by my Mastercard bill, they probably like me too this spring!

Rachel

o

There's more places to choose from then those living in the city but agree that many of them, while high quality, are high end.

If he's still there try Frankie's Garden Center at the interesection of Dempster and Dodge in Evanston. He was where the old Frank's Nursery and Crafts was. To be honest, I haven't stopped by in a couple of seasons so not sure if he's still there but the prices and plants were good. But Anton's (on Fowler I got it right this time) is just down the street from that intersection. Their prices are fair and the plants are huge.

Lurvery's is your next closest bet or maybe a garden club sale.

All these private garden centers are having a hard time competing again the box stores so there's (I think) less of them then there used to be and the ones that have survived offer superior plants and customer service but at premium prices typically.

o

Thanks sushi and gonativegal for the suggestions. Red's is certainly easy to get to - I always forget about them. Lurvey's is on my list for tomorrow and maybe I can swing by the Evanston Anton's after that - I still wonder if they are connected to the Anton's in Highland Park.

Good point about the competition from the box stores, but they have such a limited selection that I'm sure at least some of the private ones will survive. You ask most employees at HD or Lowes for a specific plant and they look at you crosseyed!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here