Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving my garden

Posted by barbiejo 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 1:24

I have some landscaping that I have been working on for a few years. I just recently bought a new house and this is going to sound weird, but I want to take my perennials with me. Because many of them are not well established, I have this fear that the new owners of this property will not understand the treatment of such plants or know what they are. Because I am moving from a rental home to buying my own home, I have no control in telling the next people of what I have planted. My garden consists of cannas, roses, hydrangeas, astilbe and variagated weigela that are in the ground. I also have many others (such as chinese wisteria, etc) that I never put in the ground because I felt I would be moving within the next 6 months. I am thinking that I should dig the holes for my plants before I move in and transplant them immediately. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving my garden

Sounds like a good idea....but if you are digging the holes in advance, you might want to cover them with plastic or put mulch in them so they won't dry out before you can get your plants in.

o

Whenever I have moved, I have taken plants with me. I divide my ordinary plants and take many of my special plants. Tough plants like daylilies and hostas can remain bareroots for at least a week so long as they are kept moist and in the shade.

When I move them, I dig them out with a little dirt still left on their root balls. Then I place them in large Rubbermaid tubs. YOu can place several plants in a tub. I spray, but don't soak, the roots every day until they are planted.

o

• Posted by kec01 5 Chicago IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 7:24

Nothing weird about moving your garden. We moved 175 perennials from one house to the next a few years ago. If you can, dig holes ahead of time and amend your soil, if needed. We got some of the cheap plastic trays (about 18"x24" from Menard's/Home Depot and put as many plants as possible in each. Made carrying and transporting alot easier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here