Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
have_dirt_will_plant

Intro (& starting over w/ peonies for trade)

Hi all,

I used to follow this board a few years ago but got sidetracked with other things in life....been in Indy for 5 yrs but keep moving around & such a chore to move a household AND plants... so alas, I'm starting over yet again. I just moved from Irvington area to a mile down the road...some house stuff still in boxes but I've got flower beds ready! LOL

I love colorful perennials & hostas, but know zilch about bulbs...although I know I probably should learn.

My small yard has no plants to speak of altho I managed to find the poison ivy pretty quickly... :( What IS here is growing well, but aren't what I want, so I'd like to trade if anyone's interested. Unfortunately I don't have much, but if someone's interested??....

5 mature peony bushes -- white flowers, about 2 1/2 feet tall & have just flowered... (Is it safe to dig them up now??)

1 nice sized cluster of purple-blue irises.... don't know the name...and haven't dug them up yet so don't know how many bulbs there are-they did have flowers until a couple days ago.

Last but not least, I have about 100 anonymous bulbs the size of large eggs. LOL Had healthy foliage when I moved here 10 days ago but no flowers. Neighbor says they flower in fall but didn't know what they are. I was too impatient to wait so I dug them up a couple of days ago...they were in a border bed 20' x 2' and very cramped, probably hadn't been divided for about 3 yrs.

I'm looking for rudbeckia, trumpet vine, hostas, red penstemon, hibiscus, russian sage, red coreopsis, Stella de Oro, and probably anything you have. :) I have a bed that is 20x2 (front of patio) and another 3x50 along a fence. That's what I'm *starting* with, anyway. :) (I'm already planning a hosta bed under the tree out back)

I would also appreciate recommendations for local nurseries that have reasonable prices, as well as online sites.....and any info on local trades/swaps/meets, etc.

Thanks for any and all help, and it's nice to see so many Indy gardeners out there!

TJ

Comments (2)