Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
full marigold blooms-snapped off??

Posted by greeneyz47 chicago area (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 9:06

I have large yell-org marigd. plants that SOMETHING seems to be literally snapping off the big blooms- blooms lay at side of plant, but nothing else has eaten the plant or the bloom- I see no chew marks, It looks clean, like a human took scissors to it (I have no neighbors around that would be doing this) Ive looked at other comments and I cant see slug trails, rabbits??? How can I stop this??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: full marigold blooms-snapped off??

I have had that happen to marigolds, too. I finally caught the culprit in the act, it was a bird. I think it was was in the swallow family. It 'snipped' the flower with it's beak, tried to pick it up, couldn't, and moved to the next flower.

My neighbors must of thought I was crazy for a while. Whenever I saw that stupid bird I would burst out of my house and chase it away. It finally got the message and didn't return (but it took about a week to do so).

o
RE: full marigold blooms-snapped off??

Thanks so much for your input, that sounds like my culprit, we have lots of bird feeders n tons of birds!! I would of like to seen one in the act- it actually sounds hilarious!! It must of given up, cause it doesn't happen any more...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here