Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Highway plants????

Posted by elisabeth_rose z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 10:21

I was driving from Chicago to DeKalb on 88 the other day and noticed large areas of small purple-blue flowers (probably some kind of ground cover) growing on the grassy slopes on both sides of the highway. Have anyone else here noticed this, and if so, do you know what it is?

Thanks,

Elisabeth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Highway plants????

If it was groundcover, it might be Crown Vetch, which is more lavender in color. It is pretty, but it's considered invasive. Sometimes it's used to stabilize banks along highways or streams, but it spreads out of control.

I saw some just today at the Morton Arboretum, believe it or not, where they were in process of stabilizing a stream bank with Illinois state funds. I don't know if it was intentional, but there was a big patch of crown vetch beside the bridge and sign explaining the work.

It is often planted by highway workman because it grows fast and forms a strong root system. It's a legume and kind of looks like clover, so it's nitrogen fixing. Its flowers are pink and purple balls, which you can see at the link below. Since you said what you saw was blue, you might want to take a look and see if it's the same stuff.

I like it, but don't think I'd recommend it. We had a small patch beside our front steps at a university rental cottage when we lived downtown, and thankfully it never escaped that bed. But I saw whole hillsides at Six Flags Great America covered with it one year when we went.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown Vetch - Nature Conservancy

o

I think you are right, that it is Crown Vetch. It is pretty, but would surely overwhelm my little garden, where I thought it might be nice as a filler in beds with other plants. Oh well, at least I got that out of my system. Thank you for helping me.

Elisabeth.

o

Sweet woodruff or lamium might be similar alternatives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here